Statue of Diogo Afonso facing Porto Grande Bay in Mindelo
|Captain of Santiago, Cape Verde|
|Succeeded by||Rodrigo Afonso|
Diogo Afonso (fl. 15th century) was a Portuguese explorer.
He took part in several explorations in the northwest and west coast of Africa which were made by Prince Henry.
In 1444, he commanded a ship which had other explorers including Antão Gonçalves and Gomes Pires and explored the Rio de Oro (most of the areas that are now belong to Mauritania). In his second year, he took park in an expedition in the island of Arguin (now in Mauritania) with Antão Gonçalves and Garcia Homem. His ship passed by a frontier coast of the island, discovered its cape, in that region had a large number of captives, which were returned to Lisbon, where they were sold. Prince Henry. brought a fifth expedition which included Duarte Pacheco Pereira. He later explored the remainder of the Cape Verdean islands mainly in the northwestern part.
(...) así y por la guisa que le tenemos dadas otras siete islas que Diego Affomsso su escudero encontró a través del cabo Verde— D. Afonso V (1462)
Diogo Afonso later settled in the island of Santiago and inhabited Ribeira Grande and was one of the first settlers of the island, there on January 29, 1462, he became the first of two captains of the island of Santiago which was governed in the then colonial capital of Ribeira Grande, he remained captain until 1473, from September 19, 1462 as captain of Southern Santiago which he was succeeded by his brother or son Rodrigo Afonso. The remainder of his life is unknown.
A statue is erected at the shores of its beach in Mindelo in the historic city center in the island of São Vicente, an island that he discovered, it is located west of Avenida Marginal
- List of colonial governors of Cape Verde, including its predecessor the Captains of Santiago Island
- "Diogo Afonso" (in Portuguese). Carreira da Índia.
- Albuquerque Luís, Dicionário de história dos descobrimentos Portugueses (Dictionary of History of Portuguese Discoveries), Lisbon, Círculo de Leitores
- Serrão, Joel (1963), "Afonso Diogo", Dicionàrio de História de Portugal' (Dictionary of the History of Portugal), 1st ed, Torres, Ruy d'Abreu, Lisbon, Iniciativas Editoriais. p. 49
- François Angelier, Dictionnaire des Voyageurs et Explorateurs occidentaux (Dictionary of Western Voyages and Explorers), Pygmalion, 2011, p. 30
new post created
|Captain of Santiago Island, Cape Verde
| Succeeded by|