David Norman Dumville (born 5 May 1949) is a British medievalist and Celtic scholar. He was educated at Emmanuel College and the Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, University of Cambridge; Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München; and received his PhD at the University of Edinburgh in 1976. He is currently professor of history and palaeography at the University of Aberdeen and editor of the journal Anglo-Saxon. He has previously taught or held posts at Swansea University (Fellow, 1975–1977), the University of Pennsylvania (assistant professor of English, 1977–1978), the University of Cambridge, (lecturer in Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, 1977–1991; reader in early Mediaeval history and culture of British Isles, 1991–1995; professor of palaeography and cultural history, 1995–2005). Among other academic appointments, he was visiting professor at the University of California, Los Angeles (1995).
Dumville has produced numerous scholarly articles and books. In 2007, he established a scholarly journal for Anglo-Saxon studies, entitled Anglo-Saxon, which he edits with R. D. Fulk and Andrew Reynolds. It is published by the University of Aberdeen. He was a founding member of the Medieval Chronicle Society.
- (with Kathryn Grabowski) Chronicles and Annals of Mediaeval Ireland & Wales, 1984
- (with Michael Lapidge) Gildas: New approaches, 1984
- (with Michael Lapidge) The Annals of St Neots, 1985
- The Historia Brittonum, 1985
- Histories and Pseudo-Histories of the Insular Middle Ages, 1990
- Alfred to Edgar, 1992
- Liturgy and the Ecclesiastical History of Late Anglo-Saxon England, 1992
- Britons and Anglo-Saxons in the Early Middle Ages, 1993
- English Caroline Script and Monastic History, 1993
- Saint Patrick, 1993
- The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, 1995
- The Churches of North Britain in the First Viking Age, 1997
- "Three Men in a Boat" (inaugural lecture), 1997
- Councils and Synods of the Gaelic Early and Central Middle Ages, 1997
- A Palaeographer's Review, vol. 1 1999, vol. 2 2003
- Saint David of Wales, 2001
- Annales Cambriae, 2002
- The Annals of Ulster, 2002
- (with Pádraig Ó Néill) Cáin Adomnáin and Canones Adomnani, 2003
- ↑ "Professor David Dumville". Staff profile. University of Aberdeen.
- ↑ "David Dumville (b 1949)". dumville.org.
- Official website at University of Aberdeen