Church of St Cadoc, Raglan
|Church of St Cadoc, Raglan, Monmouthshire|
St Cadoc's, Raglan, Monmouthshire
|51°45′53″N 2°51′05″W / 51.7647°N 2.8514°WCoordinates: 51°45′53″N 2°51′05″W / 51.7647°N 2.8514°W|
|Denomination||Church in Wales|
|Canon(s)||The Rev’d Canon Tim Clement|
The Church of St Cadoc at Raglan, Monmouthshire, south east Wales, is the parish church of the village of Raglan. Dating originally from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, the church was heavily restored by Thomas Henry Wyatt in 1867–8. Built in the Decorated style, the church is a Grade II* listed building.
History and architecture
The chancel dates from the fourteenth century, whilst the "fine, tall" west tower is fifteenth century. The rest dates predominantly from the mid-Victorian restoration carried out by Wyatt. The north chapel contains three tombs of the Earls of Worcester, hereditary Lords of Raglan and of Raglan Castle in the Middle Ages. Mutilated by Parliamentarian troops during the English Civil War, they represent William Somerset, 3rd Earl of Worcester, Edward Somerset, 4th Earl of Worcester and his wife, Lady Elizabeth Hastings. There are also a number of memorials to the Barons Raglan, of nearby Cefntilla Court, including a stained glass window "commemorating the military exploits of FitzRoy Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan" in the Crimean War.
The churchyard contains the "unusually fine" base and stump of a medieval cross.
Vicars since 1560
- 1560, John Gallin (Gwillim)
- 1635, William Rogers
- 1640, William Davies
- 1661, John Davies
- 1678, Rice Morris
- 1682, William Hopkins
- 1709, Richard Tyler, B.A.
- 1715, David Price
- 1746, John Leach. B.A.
- 1781, Thomas Leach. (died 1796 at Blakeney, Glos.)
- 1796, Charles Phillips, B.A.
- 1818, William Powell, M.A.
- 1866, Arthur Montague Wyatt
- 1874, Henry Plantagenet Somerset, M.A.
- 1893, Charles Mathew Perkins, M.A.
- 1903, Robert Shelley Plant.
- 1924, David James Sproule, B.A.
- 1928, Thomas Wright, B.A.
- 1939, Charles Duck, L. Div.
- 1952, William Joseph Price
- 1958, Arthur Vernon Blake, B.A.
- 1975, Peter Charles Gwynne Gower
- 1991, Simon Llewellyn Guest
- 2005, Joan Wakeling
- 2014, The Rev’d Canon Tim Clement
- The Buildings of Wales:Gwent/Monmouthshire, page 488
- The Buildings of Wales:Gwent/Monmouthshire, page 489
- Good Stuff IT Services (1953-11-19). "Church of St Cadoc – Raglan – Monmouthshire – Wales". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- A History of Monmouthshire: The Hundred of Raglan (Vol. 2, part 1), p. 32-38
- St Cadoc's Church Guide. Mrs Horatia Durant. 1975
- Newman, John (2002). Gwent/Monmouthshire. New Haven; London: Yale University Press. p. 305. ISBN 978-0-300-09630-9.
- Bradney, Joseph. A History of Monmouthshire: The Hundred of Raglan (Vol. 2, part 1), pp. 32–38)