|Coordinates: 51°8′N 17°32′E / 51.133°N 17.533°E|
|• Total||8.36 km2 (3.23 sq mi)|
|• Density||610/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
Bierutów [bʲɛˈrutuf] is a town in Oleśnica County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland. It is the seat of the administrative district (gmina) called Gmina Bierutów. The town lies approximately 13 kilometres (8 mi) south-east of Oleśnica, and 35 kilometres (22 mi) east of the regional capital Wrocław.
Prior to 1945 the town was in Germany and known as Bernstadt an der Weide. After World War II the region was placed under Polish administration by the Potsdam Agreement under territorial changes demanded by the Soviet Union. Most Germans fled or were expelled and replaced with Poles expelled from the Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union. The town of Bernstadt was renamed as Bierutów after Polish Communist leader Bolesław Bierut.
As at 2006, the town has a population of 5,066. Its castle is believed to date to the 13th century, and was the headquarters of the local forestry body after World War II.
- Andreas Acoluthus (1654–1704), German scholar of orientalism
- Louise Elisabeth of Württemberg-Oels (1673-1736)
- Maximilian von Prittwitz (1848–1917), Prussian general
- Josef Block (1863–1943), German painter
- Horace Kallen (1882–1974), German-American philosopher
- Ludwig Meidner (1884–1966), German expressionist painter
Mayors since 1990
|Name||years in office|
|Bogdan Smolarczyk||1990 – 1992|
|Andrzej Wojtkowiak||1992 – 1997|
|Edward Puk||1997 – 1998|
|Włodzimierz Kubiak||1998 – 2002|
|Roman Kazimierski||2002 – 2004|
|Grzegorz Michalak||2005 – 2006|
|Władysław Bogusław Kobiałka||since 2006|
- "Bierutów – a castle and a castle tower, 3b Zamkowa street". Szlakikulturowe.dolnyslask.pl. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- Jewish Community in Bierutów on Virtual Shtetl