Augustów Voivodeship

Augustów Voivodeship
Województwo augustowskie
Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland
(Congress Poland)


Coat of arms

Capital Łomża (1816-1818), Suwałki (1818-1837)
53°10′N 22°5′E / 53.167°N 22.083°E / 53.167; 22.083Coordinates: 53°10′N 22°5′E / 53.167°N 22.083°E / 53.167; 22.083
  Established 1816
  Disestablished 1837

Augustów Voivodeship was created in 1816 from the Łomża Department. Its capital was in Łomża until 1818, when it was transferred to Suwałki. In 1837 it was transformed into Augustów Governorate.

Administrative divisions

It was divided into 7 counties:


The Augustów Canal was built between 1823 and 1837 in the Augustów Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland. From the time it was first built, the canal was described by experts as a technological marvel, with 22 sluices and 18 locks contributing to its aesthetic appeal. It was the first summit level canal in Central Europe to provide a direct link between the two major rivers, Vistula River through the Biebrza River – a tributary of the Narew River, and the Neman River through its tributary – the Czarna Hancza River.

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 6/19/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.