Abbot of Lindores

The Abbot of Lindores (later Commendator of Lindores) was the head of the Tironensian monastic community and lands of Lindores Abbey in Fife (the nearby town of Newburgh was created by and belonged to the abbey). The position was created when the abbey was founded some time between 1190 and 1191 by King William the Lion's brother Prince David, Earl of Huntingdon, and Lord of Garioch. The following is a list of abbots and commendators.

List of abbots

List of commendators


  1. Was deprived of the position by the Pope in favour of William de Angus; he went on to become Prior of Coldingham.
  2. Previously Prior of Coldingham and abbot-elect of Lindores.


See also

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 4/13/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.