|Coordinates: 46°56′N 9°34′E / 46.933°N 9.567°ECoordinates: 46°56′N 9°34′E / 46.933°N 9.567°E|
|• Total||11.01 km2 (4.25 sq mi)|
|Elevation||561 m (1,841 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015)|
|• Density||310/km2 (790/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Igis, Maienfeld, Mastrils, Says, Trimmis, Untervaz, Valzeina|
Zizers has an area, as of 2006, of 11 km2 (4.2 sq mi). Of this area, 41.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 38.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 12.1% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (7.8%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is the capital of the sub-district of Fünf Dörfer in the Landquart district. It is located on the most important road through the Rhine river valley.
Zizers has a population (as of 31 December 2015) of 3,361. As of 2008, 13.6% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 4.3%. Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks German (88.7%), with Italian being second most common ( 3.2%) and Serbo-Croatian being third ( 2.0%).
As of 2000, the gender distribution of the population was 49.7% male and 50.3% female. The age distribution, as of 2000, in Zizers is; 315 children or 10.6% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 197 teenagers or 6.6% are 10 to 14, and 220 teenagers or 7.4% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 357 people or 12.0% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 480 people or 16.1% are 30 to 39, 474 people or 15.9% are 40 to 49, and 368 people or 12.3% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 288 people or 9.7% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 159 people or 5.3% are 70 to 79, there are 99 people or 3.3% who are 80 to 89, and there are 26 people or 0.9% who are 90 to 99.
Zizers has an unemployment rate of 1.9%. As of 2005, there were 73 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 20 businesses involved in this sector. 96 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 22 businesses in this sector. 484 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 92 businesses in this sector.
From the 2000 census, 1,286 or 43.1% are Roman Catholic, while 1,303 or 43.7% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there are 12 individuals (or about 0.40% of the population) who belong to the Orthodox Church, and there are 66 individuals (or about 2.21% of the population) who belong to another Christian church. There are 112 (or about 3.75% of the population) who are Islamic. There are 13 individuals (or about 0.44% of the population) who belong to another church (not listed on the census), 131 (or about 4.39% of the population) belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 65 individuals (or about 2.18% of the population) did not answer the question.
Heritage sites of national significance
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (German) accessed 30 August 2016
- Zizers in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 15-Oct-2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics Archived August 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden in Numbers Archived September 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance Archived May 1, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. 21.11.2008 version, (German) accessed 15-Oct-2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zizers.|
- Official Web site
- Zizers in Romansh, German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.