Zichow Castle with medieval keep
|Coordinates: 53°11′00″N 14°02′00″E / 53.18333°N 14.03333°ECoordinates: 53°11′00″N 14°02′00″E / 53.18333°N 14.03333°E|
|• Mayor||Martin Röthke|
|• Total||32.15 km2 (12.41 sq mi)|
|• Density||18/km2 (47/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The former Slavic settlement of Zichow in the Margraviate of Brandenburg was first mentioned in a 1288 deed, issued by the Premonstratensian monks of nearby Gramzow Abbey. A fortress was erected at the site during the 13th century German Ostsiedlung migration. In 1354 Elector Louis II of Brandenburg ceded Zichow and Golm to the bordering Duchy of Pomerania.
Re-acquired by Elector Frederick II in 1447, the estates were enfeoffed to several Brandenburgian noble dynasties. All three parishes suffered from extended devastations during the Thirty Years' War. Zichow Castle was rebuilt in a Baroque style after a blaze in 1745.
- Carl Strehlow (1871–1922), missionary and ethnologist
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zichow.|