Zürich Enge railway station
The east façade of the Zürich Enge station as seen from the recently redesigned Tessinerplatz
City of Zürich,
Canton of Zürich,
|Coordinates||47°21′55″N 8°31′55″E / 47.36528°N 8.53194°ECoordinates: 47°21′55″N 8°31′55″E / 47.36528°N 8.53194°E|
|Elevation||409 m (1,342 ft)|
|Owned by||Swiss Federal Railways|
|Operated by||Swiss Federal Railways|
|Line(s)||Lake Zürich left-bank|
Zürich trams (routes 5, 7, 9 and 13)|
Regional bus services
|Previous names||Bahnstation Enge|
Zürich Enge railway station (Switzerland)
Zürich Enge railway station (German: Bahnhof Zürich Enge) is a railway station on the S-Bahn Zürich system in the southwestern part, in the Enge quarter, of the Swiss city of Zürich. The station is located on the Lake Zürich left bank line, although it is now bypassed by the alternative Zimmerberg Base Tunnel routing.
Although now largely confined to serving suburban trains, the station has a particularly imposing semicircular facade. It is inscribed on the Swiss Inventory of Cultural Property of National Significance.
The first Enge station opened in 1875 with the opening of the Lake Zürich left bank line. The line's original routing through the area differed from the current alignment and was largely at street level, with many level crossings. The first station was located about 200 metres (660 ft) to the south-east of the current station, close the site of the crossing of Albert-Escher-Strasse and General-Wille-Strasse.
The current station was built between 1925 and 1927, when the line was rerouted to the west, using a lower level alignment with more tunneling. The station building is constructed of granite from the Ticino, which fact is marked by the naming of the frontal square as Tessinerplatz. The architects were the brothers Otto Pfister and Werner Pfister, who modelled the station frontage on that of Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof.
As built, the current station had three tracks, which carried all the traffic on both the Lake Zurich left bank line and the Zürich to Lucerne main line. These tracks were served by a side platform to the east and an island platform between the two westernmost tracks. With the opening of the alternative Zimmerberg Base Tunnel routing in 2002, most long distance trains no longer pass through or stop in the station. As a consequence, the westernmost track was removed and the island platform converted to a side platform.
The rail approaches to the station from both north and south are by tunnel, with the tunnel mouths at the end of the platforms. The 848 m (2,782 ft) Ulmberg Tunnel is to the north, whilst the 903 m (2,963 ft) Enge Tunnel is to the south.
- map.geo.admin.ch with municipal boundaries overlaid (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. pp. 64–65. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- "Schweizerisches Inventar der Kulturgüter von nationaler Bedeutung - Zürich" [Swiss Inventory of Cultural Property of National Significance - Zurich] (PDF) (in German). Swiss Confederation. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- map.geo.admin.ch with Siegfried Map First edition overlaid (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "City of Zurich Network" (PDF). ZVV. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zürich Enge railway station.|