Guanyin Hall of the Yunju Temple
|Geographic coordinates||39°36′29″N 115°46′04″E / 39.60806°N 115.76778°ECoordinates: 39°36′29″N 115°46′04″E / 39.60806°N 115.76778°E|
The temple was first built in the early seventh century. In 616, the first Buddhist stone scripture tablet was made at the temple by a monk named Jingwan. Because there were debates going between Buddhists and Daoists, and Jingwan feared reprisals from Daoists, he decided to carve his scriptures on stone instead of writing them on paper. The work on the stone tablets continued on for more than a thousand years before ending in 1655. In the Sui dynasty and early Tang dynasty, twelve sutras were carved. In the Liao dynasty and Jin dynasty, the Khitan Tripitaka (契丹大藏經) was carved and this is the only one of this version of the Chinese Buddhist canon surviving today. Carved on 77,000 wooden blocks the scriptures attract a large number of visitors.
In total, 1,122 Buddhist scriptures in 3572 volumes were produced at the temple. In the 1930s, a significant portion of the temple was destroyed. Two bone fragments believed to belong to the Buddha are enshrined at the site.
- Dan Jixiang and Wang Fengjiang (Eds), 2001. Fang Shan Yu Ju Temple Liao Jin Stone Sutras Preservation Record, No ISBN. In Chinese. 《房山云居寺辽金石经回藏纪实》/单霁翔、王风江（主编）
- Liao Pin and Wu Wen. The Temples of Beijing. Beijing: Foreign Languages Press, 2006.
- http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5319/. Retrieved on June 1, 2008.