New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|Coordinates||34°17′S 148°19′E / 34.283°S 148.317°ECoordinates: 34°17′S 148°19′E / 34.283°S 148.317°E|
|Population||12,236 (2011 census)|
|• Density||4.5419/km2 (11.7636/sq mi)|
|Area||2,694 km2 (1,040.2 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Brian Ingram (Independent)|
|Region||South West Slopes|
Composition and election method
At the time of dissolution, Young Shire Council was composed of nine Councillors elected proportionally as one entire ward. All Councillors were elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor was elected by the Councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The last election was held on 8 September 2012, and the makeup of the Council was as follows:
|Independents and Unaligned||8|
|Ben Cooper||Independent||Deputy Mayor|
A 2015 review of local government boundaries recommended that Boorowa Shire merge with adjoining councils. The NSW Government considered two proposals. The first proposed a merger between the Young, Harden and Boorowa shires to form a new council with an area of 7,139 square kilometres (2,756 sq mi) and support a population of approximately 19,000. Following the lodging of an alternate proposal by Harden Shire on 28 February 2016 to amalgamate the Cootamundra, Gundagai and Harden shires, the NSW Minister for Local Government proposed a merger between the Boorowa and Young shires.
Young Shire was abolished on 12 May 2016 and along with Boorowa Shire and Harden Shire, the area was included in a new Hilltops Council local government area.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Young Shire". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Young Shire Council". Department of Local Government. Retrieved 7 November 2006.
- "Young Shire Council: Summary of First Preference Votes for each Candidate". Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Speelman, Christine (21 September 2012). "New council raring to go". The Young Witness. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Merger proposal: Boorowa Council, Harden Shire Council, Young Shire Council" (PDF). Government of New South Wales. January 2016. p. 7. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Harden Shire Council (28 February 2016). "Fit For Future: Alternate Merger Proposal - Harden Shire Council" (PDF). Government of New South Wales. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Toole, Paul (March 2016). "Boorowa and Young Shire councils Proposal" (PDF). Minister for Local Government. Government of New South Wales. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Hilltops Council". Stronger Councils. Government of New South Wales. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
Media related to Young Shire at Wikimedia Commons