|Created by||GMA Entertainment TV Group|
|Developed by||Maribel Ilag|
Ana Aleta Nadela|
|Directed by||Gil Tejada, Jr.|
|Creative director(s)||Jun Lana|
Lovi Poe |
"Tunay na Mahal"|
sung by Jaya
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, Tagalog, English|
|No. of episodes||85 episodes (final)|
|Executive producer(s)||Joy Lumboy-Pili|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i NTSC|
|Original release||October 29, 2012 – February 22, 2013|
Yesterday's Bride is a Filipino drama series created by Liberty Trinidad and written by Maribel Ilag. The series is executive produced by Joy Lumboy-Pili, directed by Gil Tejada, Jr. and produced by GMA Network. It banners Lovi Poe in the title character, with Rocco Nacino and Luis Alandy as her leading men, and Karel Marquez as the main antagonist. The show premiered on October 29, 2012 on GMA Afternoon Prime block, replacing Hindi Ka Na Mag-iisa and October 31, 2012 worldwide via GMA Pinoy TV.
The show chronicles the complicated life and love story of Andrea Manalo, a woman who torn between the guy she was supposed to tie the knot with or the man whom destiny seemed to choose for her.
The series concluded on February 22, 2013 and replaced by Unforgettable on its timeslot. It ran for 17 weeks with 85 episodes all in all.
Cast and characters
- Andrea Manalo / Lorraine Agustin-Ramirez – the series' main protagonist, played by Lovi Poe. Works in a furniture shop owned by the Ramirezes, the simple, uneducated but kind-hearted, Andrea falls in love with her boss's son, Justin Ramirez. Despite their diverse social backgrounds and the obvious opposition of the latter's parents, the young lovers are determined to fight for their love and happiness. On her way to her wedding with Justin, an accident strikes which renders her into a coma. Andrea is found pregnant. The more that Justin shows his care, love and attention for her. Another twist of fate comes to a worse when fire breaks out in the hospital. Miraculously, Andrea wakes up and finds herself in a mansion not knowing who the owner is, and even forgetting her name and her past.
- Justin Ramirez – the male lead, portrayed by Rocco Nacino. Born from a prominent family, Justin is the sheltered heir of the Ramirezes. He falls deeply in love with their lowly worker, Andrea Manalo, much to his mother's dismay. Out of extreme love, he braves all the obstacles just to be with the woman he loves. Tragedy strikes and fate takes a sudden twist and destroy their dreams of having a simple and happy family life together.
- Dr. Celso Agustin – portrayed by Luis Alandy. He is a respectable and kind-hearted doctor who saves and takes good care of Andrea Manalo during her "loss" times and even giving her a name, Loraine. Soon, Celso and Loraine/Andrea find themselves falling in love with each other. But things get complicated as the latter starts to regain her memory and unravel the mystery of her past.
- Dr. Sabrina Torres – the main antagonist, portrayed by Karel Marquez. She is the doctor who delivered Andrea's baby. She is a bipolar woman who loves Justin Ramirez to a passion. She will do anything to lure the latter into her trap and determined to take down anyone who dares to get in her way.
- Josilda Ramirez – antagonist; played by Ara Mina. She is Justin's ambitious and arrogant mother and the owner of the huge furniture shop where Andrea works. She will do everything to keep her precious son away from Andrea, even if it means making life hell for Andrea in the most evil way imaginable.
- Pete Ramirez – character portrayed by Emilio Garcia; Pete is the equally arrogant spouse of Josie and the strict father of Justin and Joel. Self-centered and over-domineering, Pete seeks to control everything and everyone.
- Dr. Dave Serrano – played by Mark Bautista. Dave is Celso Agustin's close friend and confidante. He also works as a doctor. He proves himself a true friend as he constantly stands by Celso's side through all the latter’s ordeals.
- Doña Divina Agustin – antagonist; portrayed by Raquel Villavicencio. Conchita is the arrogant and domineering mother of Dr. Celso Agustin. She hates Loraine/Andrea for her son and will do whatever it takes to tear them apart.
- Suzanne Torres – character portrayed by Nina Ricci Alagao. Like her daughter, Sabrina, Suzanne is a strong-willed and cunning woman who will do whatever it takes just to protect her daughter from further pain and disappointments in life.
- Fey – played by Lou Sison. Fey is the personal nurse-turned-close friend of Loraine/Andrea.
- Joel Ramirez – portrayed by Ken Chan. He is the younger brother and somewhat a friend and confidant of Justin Ramirez.
Production and development
Series' creator, Liberty Trinidad began developing Yesterday's Bride under the title "The Borrowed Wife" in July 2012. The idea for the series was conceive when Trinidad began thinking... "What if a mother gives birth to her child while in deep coma?". The production team found the concept/premise very interesting. Trinidad stated that the series also presents an interesting take to a seemingly perfect love story, as it explores the moral dilemma of the protagonist and how she must decide between the two men who love her. "The show is very current and viewers will be able to relate to Andrea's [the main character of the story] predicament because even though their situation may be different, everyone has to make tough decisions especially when it comes to love," she added. Show’s program manager, Hazel Abonita described the story as "intimate". It's about the actors and their characters and how they will engage viewers in the storytelling. It doesn't have added factors like special effects to hook the public," she added.
Lovi Poe played the titular character, Andrea Manalo. Poe described her role "the most quiet role I have ever played" and far different from the strong-willed and independent characters she did in television series, Legacy and movies, Temptation Island and My Neighbor's Wife. Here, the female lead is subject to oppression and lots of emotional torments. It is the goody-goody type [that of the usual screen heroine]. "It looks easy but it is a lot harder for me. I am used to playing independent and strong women. This time around, it is more about falling in love and becoming martyr. It is something new to me," she said. By far "It's challenging because there will be adjustments in my attack. Coming from strong female characters, it’s not that easy to create nuances for your new role. But this is where the excitement lies. It will definitely test your range as an actress," she added. Rocco Nacino cast as Justin Ramirez, one of the two leading men of the protagonist. Nacino stated that it's his "first mature role". Nacino and Poe first worked together in 2010 mini-series Mistaken Identity. Luis Alandy and Karel Marquez, on the other hand, played Celso Ramirez, the other love interest and Sabrina Torres, the series' main antagonist, respectively.
The series' plug, teasers, as well as the opening title sequence were filmed in a studio at GMA Network Center, in Quezon City. Production started filming the series on October 12, 2012. Many of the series' scenes were shot on location in Angeles, Pampanga.
"Tunay na Mahal" (lit. Real Love) used as the series' theme song. It was composed by Freddie Saturno and originally performed by Lani Misalucha. The song's lyrics tell of a person expressing her resentment towards the man who promised her everything, but ended up leaving her for another love. Despite the pains and heartaches, she still considers him as her one, true love. The song was then interpreted by Jaya Ramsey.In January 2015, the theme song was later covered by Juris Fernandez in the afternoon drama series on ABS-CBN, Nasaan Ka Nang Kailangan Kita starring Vina Morales, Jane Oineza, Denise Laurel and Loisa Andalio.
Awards and recognition
- 2012 Top 10 Best Philippine TV Series – Yesterday’s Bride (rank #8)
- 2012 Daytime Prince – Rocco Nacino
- GMA Network official website
- GMA Network Official Facebook Page
- Yesterday's Bride on Facebook Official Fan Page