|Coordinates: 52°23′N 20°12′E / 52.383°N 20.200°E|
|• Mayor||Henryk Klusiewicz|
|• Total||13.87 km2 (5.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||200/km2 (520/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code(s)||+48 24|
The town of Wyszogród was an early Slavic settlement as early as the 10th century. In the 11th century it became fortified and started to act as a local centre of commerce. In the 12th century it became the seat of local castellany and soon it became one of the seats of the Dukes of Masovia. Relocated on Magdeburg Law in 1398, Wyszogród became one of the most important inland ports and centres of textile production in the area.
During The Deluge the town was pillaged and burnt by the Swedes. Several subsequent fires destroyed Wyszogród almost completely. After the Partitions of Poland in 1793 it was annexed by Prussia. In 1807 it was reconquered by the Duchy of Warsaw and after the fall of Napoleon Bonaparte in 1815 it was transferred to the Kingdom of Poland. At the end of 19th century Wyszogród again recovered.
During World War II, the town was heavily damaged during the course of the German Invasion of Poland in September, 1939. During the German occupation the Jewish population of the town perished in the Holocaust. There were several partisan groups operating both within the city and in the forests nearby. The town was rebuilt after the war, though its population did not recover to pre-war levels.
- The Holy Trinity Church (1773–1786)
- Remnants of the Franciscan abbey
- St. Mary of Angels Church (1408)
- Monastery (1684)
- Old Town market (18th and 19th centuries)
- Official town webpage
- Wyszogród at www.jewishgen.org
- Jewish Community in Wyszogród on Virtual Shtetl
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wyszogród.|