World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman
|World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman|
First light novel volume cover
(Seiken Tsukai no Wārudo Bureiku)
|Written by||Akamitsu Awamura|
|Published by||SB Creative|
|Original run||November 15, 2012 – present|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||June 2014 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Takayuki Inagaki|
|Produced by||Atsunori Yoshida|
|Written by||Hiroshi Yamaguchi|
|Music by||Go Sakabe|
|Network||TV Tokyo, TVO, TVA, AT-X|
|Original run||January 11, 2015 – March 29, 2015|
World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman (聖剣使いの
World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman takes place at a school named Akane Academy, where students with special powers and known as Saviors are trained to defend against monsters called Metaphysicals, which brutally and indiscriminately attack humans. Saviors, divided into Shirogane (White Iron) and Kuroma (Black Magic), are the reincarnations of talented individuals who possess awakened memories of their past lives. Shirogane manifest weapons and martial techniques while Kuroma manifest magic for defense purposes.
The story follows main protagonist, Moroha Haimura, who is unique in that he has awakened memories of two past lives: Flaga, a swordmaster and prince of a small country, and Shu Saura, a magician and King of the Netherworld. This gives Moroha the abilities of both a Shirogane and Kuroma. At the Academy he meets Satsuki, a boisterous girl who is very boastful and brash and who was Sarasha, Flaga's sister, in her past life; and Shizuno, a calm and levelheaded girl, who was Shu Saura's queen. With his unique abilities he joins the Striker Unit, Akane Academy's team of elite Saviors.
Moroha's plans for a peaceful school life go up in flames when Satsuki and Shizuno begin to vie for his attention and matters only get worse when Metaphysicals start appearing.
- Moroha Haimura (灰村 諸葉 Haimura Moroha)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa (Japanese); Clifford Chapin (English)
- The protagonist. He is very dependable, although he gets embarrassed easily when teased. He has two past lives: the first being a Shirogane named Flaga, who was in love with his sister, Sarasha, who happens to be Satsuki's previous incarnation, and the second being a Kuroma named Shu Saura, who was in a relationship with Shizuno's previous incarnation. Due to having memories of both past lives, he is known as an Ancient Dragon and is both a Shirogane and a Kuroma. His sword is "Saratiga" which is a straight katana, while as a Kuroma his dark art is "Black Gehenna" that he infuses into his sword to maximize its destructive capability, calling it "Yin Yang Kurikara". His other abilities includes the dark art "Ouroboros" which is a water spell that allows him to flood vast areas with water (it also allows him to walk on water) and "Gorikitsu" which allows him to maximize his prana. It is later revealed that Moroha is cursed by an extremely powerful Metaphysical, the "Ancient Dragon," that has hounded him in all of his past lives. It hunted and killed the previous incarnations of both Satsuki and Shizuno.
- Satsuki Ranjō (嵐城 サツキ Ranjō Satsuki)
- Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu (Japanese); Felecia Angelle (English)
- She is a boisterous girl who is very boastful and brash. She is classmates with Moroha and Shizuno. In her past life she was a princess named Sarasha who was in love with her older brother, Flaga, one of Moroha's past lives. In the present, because they are no longer related by blood, Satsuki plans to renew their previous relationship. She and her family often had to move from place to place in order to avoid attacks from Metaphysicals, which made it hard for her to make friends. This is made more difficult due to her condescending attitude towards everyone except Moroha. Despite her attitude, she doesn't hesitate to help others, even when she is in a disadvantage. She is good at cooking and always prepares Moroha's meals. As a Savior, she is a Shirogane who uses light skills that materialize into a short sword called "Acieal". She is also capable of detecting incoming Metaphysicals. As she develops her skills she is able to move much more quickly and is able to manifest Kongoutsu, an armor-like force field. In her past life as Sarasha she was burned to death by the ancient dragon while fleeing from it.
- Shizuno Urushibara (漆原 静乃 Urushibara Shizuno)
- Voiced by: Aoi Yūki (Japanese); Jād Saxton (English)
- Shizuno is calm and levelheaded girl who is classmates with Moroha and Satsuki. She is a Kuroma whose previous incarnation was the Witch of the Netherworld, and she uses dark arts by chanting spells and channeling them through her staff. Her dark arts seem to focus on freezing and ice spells, including "Dreadful Blizzard". In her past life, she was in a relationship with Shu Saura, Moroha's other past life. She is brazen with her feelings towards Moroha to the point that she doesn't mind kissing him in public, especially in front of Satsuki. Her elder brother is the president of the school, and who nominated her for inclusion in the Strikers, where she serves as a reserve. Shizuno was born into an affluent family of utmost influence; however belonging to such a family is burdensome for her; their high expectations make her feel shackled and her only means of escape is by sleeping and dreaming about her past life with Shu Saura. She and Satsuki are rivals for Moroha's affections although they can put aside their differences when the situation demands. In her past life as the "Witch of the Netherworld," the ancient dragon turned her to ice by using her own ice spell against her.
- Maya Shimon (四門 摩耶 Shimon Maya)
- Voiced by: Yui Ogura (Japanese); Tia Ballard (English)
- Mari's much younger sister, Maya is a prodigy whose powers as a Savior awakened at a very early age. Although she is too young to attend the Academy as a student, she serves as her sister's assistant. Her powers allow her to heal injuries and she can also cast "Field of Dreams", a field covering a wide area that allows dueling Saviors to fight without getting seriously injured and can also act as a protective barrier against any incoming attacks. Because of this, Maya's primary responsibility is safety around campus. Despite her young age, she knows how to drive her sister's car.
- When Moroha arrives at the Academy, her sister assigns her to watch over him. She moves in with Moroha and even sleeps in his bed, referring to herself as his body pillow and harem personnel of the future, much to the chagrin of Moroha, Satsuki, and Shizuno.
- Elena Arshavina (エレーナ・アルシャヴィナ Erēna Arushavina)
- Voiced by: Reina Ueda (Japanese), Jenya Davidyuk (Russian dialect) (Japanese); Mikaela Krantz (English)
- Elena is a transfer student from Russia and often goes by the nickname "Lesya". She is a trained assassin who is known as the "Maneater", a reference to her demon sword "Replazan" that can consume both prana (light skills) and mana. She comes to Japan to assassinate Moroha believing (falsely) that her younger brother will be killed if she fails. It is revealed that she was an only child who was orphaned at an early age and that her memories have been manipulated by Vasilisa's subordinate, Cordat. After being freed of her demon sword by Moroha, she falls in love with him and starts to call him onii-chan, much to Satsuki's dismay.
- Jin Ishurugi
- Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura (Japanese); Garret Storms (English)
- A third-year student who is the Captain of the school's elite anti-Metaphysical fighters called the Swords of Salvation. He is a Shirogane whose weapon is "Naivete," a long and heavy broadsword. He recruits Moroha after he defeats his younger brother. He also recruits Shizuno as a reserves upon her elder brother's recommendation. He later recruits Satsuki after she confronts a dreadnought-type Metaphysical despite being at a disadvantage. Jin admires Moroha's courage and, even though he is a senior, is willing to learn from him.
- Tokiko Kanzaki (神崎登紀子 Kanzaki Tokiko)
- Voiced by: Yu Kobayashi (Japanese); Trina Nishimura (English)
- Tokiko is a third-year student and vice captain of the Swords of Salvation. She is a Kuroma who specializes in fire spells like "Incinerator." Despite being a girl, she is a brash pervert who makes sexual advances at anyone who catches her interest, regardless of gender. She seems particularly taken with Moroha and has pinched his rear end, straddled him, and even hugged him with his head in her cleavage. She tends to get so carried away with her sexual fantasies about Moroha that Jin has to step in to restrain her.
- Sophie Mertesacker (ソフィーメルテザッカー Sofī Merutezakkā)
- Voiced by: Machico (Japanese); Alexis Tipton (English)
- Sophie is a third-year student hailing from the United States and a Shirogane member of the Swords of Salvation. She tends to intersperse her speech with English words and phrases. Her weapon resembles a two-headed Kanabo.
- Haruka Momochi (百地 春鹿 Momochi Haruka)
- Voiced by: Maaya Uchida (Japanese); Bryn Apprill (English)
- A second year student and a member of the Swords of Salvation, nicknamed "Momo." Although she is a Shirogane, she is known more for her speed than her fighting ability.
- Sir Edward Lampard (サー・エドワード・ランパード Sā Edowādo Ranpādo)
- Voiced by: Wataru Hatano (Japanese); Seth Magill (English)
- The United Kingdom's executive of the Six Heads. He takes a liking towards Moroha after he nearly defeats him, nicknaming him "Jack", since Moroha is full of surprises like a Jack-in-the-Box. He seems to dislike Natto.
- Vasilisa Yuryevna Mostvaya (ヴァシリーサ・ユーリエヴナ・モストヴァヤ Vashirīsa Yūrievuna Mosutovaya)
- Voiced by: Fumi Morisawa (Japanese); Lydia Mackay (English)
- Russia's executive of the Six Heads. She is known as the Lightning Emperor who uses her powers to manipulate people into serving her, and then executing them when she deems them as being no longer useful.
- Charles Saint-Germain (シャルル・サン＝ジェルマン Sharuru San Jeruma)
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese); Eric Vale (English)
- France's executive of the Six Heads.
- Ando Suruga (駿河 安東 Suruga Andō)
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese); Joel McDonald (English)
- Japan's executive of the Six Heads. He feels pain when Metaphysicals appear.
- Lu Zhixin (ルー・ヂーシン Rū Djīshin)
- Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa (Japanese); Christopher Bevins (English)
- China's executive of the Six Heads.
- Arlene Highbury (アーリン・ハイバリー Ārin Haibarī)
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya (Japanese); Leah Clark (English)
- The United States's executive of the Six Heads. She speaks to the others through a laptop with a cartoonish animal on the screen.
- Mari Shimon (マリシモン Marishimon)
- Voiced by: Yuko Minaguchi (Japanese); Heather Walker (English)
- The Principal of Akane Academy and Maya's older sister.
- Angela Johnson (アンジェラ·ジョンソン Anjera Jonson)
- Voiced by: Chiaki Omigawa (Japanese); Morgan Garrett (English)
- Nicknamed AJ, she is Edward's maid and seems to have a crush on him. She later accompanies Moroha in his war against the Russian branch.
|1||December 25, 2014||ISBN 978-4-0410-2465-2|
|2||January 23, 2015||ISBN 978-4-0410-2466-9|
|3||August 15, 2015||ISBN 978-4-0410-3339-5|
A 12-episode anime television series adaptation by Diomedéa aired between January 11 and March 29, 2015. The opening theme is "Hi no Ito Rinne no Gemini" (緋ノ糸輪廻ノGEMINI), performed by Petit Milady (Aoi Yūki and Ayana Taketatsu), and the ending theme is ""Magna Idea" (マグナ・イデア Maguna Idea), performed by Fortuna (Aoi Yūki, Ayana Taketatsu, Maaya Uchida and Yui Ogura).
The anime series has been licensed for streaming by Funimation and Crunchyroll.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
"Tensei seshi mono" (転生せし者)
|January 11, 2015|
|Moroha begins classes at the Akane Academy because he has inherited mystical powers from a former life. While there he meets Satsuki and Shizuno, two girls who immediately find themselves drawn to him for various reasons.|
|2||"Dwell within My Sword, Magic Flame"|
"Waga Ken ni Yadore ma Homura" (我が剣に宿れ魔焔)
|January 18, 2015|
|Moroha and Shizuno join the Strikers. Satsuki is frustrated by her lack of ability, but one weekend, she faces down a Metaphysical at the shopping mall.|
|3||"The Netherworld Sorceress"|
"Meifu no Majo" (冥府の魔女)
|January 25, 2015|
|Edward, one of the six Rank S Saviors, comes to Japan. Meanwhile, Shizuno refuses to talk about her past life, causing friction between her and Moroha.|
|4||"White Knight Assault"|
"Shiro kishi kyōshū" (白騎士強襲)
|February 1, 2015|
|When Shizuno's brother tries to bully her into studying abroad, Moroha intervenes by revealing that he defeated the Dreadnought Class Metaphysical without any assistance. This leads to a high-stakes duel between himself and Sir Edward.|
|5||"We Are the Summer"|
"we are the Natsu" (we are the 夏)
|February 8, 2015|
|The Strikers go to a small island for a summer training camp, and Satsuki takes it upon herself to become a faster, more capable Savior. Meanwhile, the Head Six are preparing to meet regarding Moroha's suggested promotion to rank S.|
|6||"We Are the Swords of Salvation"|
"Warera, kyūse no ken nari" (我ら, 救世の剣なり)
|February 15, 2015|
|A gigantic Metaphysical attacks just as the summer training camp is drawing to a close. Some members of the Head Six doubt Moroha's abilities, and they see this attack as the perfect opportunity to force him to prove himself in battle.|
|7||"The Silver-haired Stranger"|
"Ginpatsu no Ihōjin" (銀髪の異邦人)
|February 22, 2015|
|A new student arrives from Russia on exchange, immediately confessing her feelings towards Moroha. Moroha is accommodating, but Shizuno has suspicions.|
|8||"The Magic Sword and the Holy Sword"|
"Maken to seiken" (魔剣と聖剣)
|March 1, 2015|
|Lesya's true identity is revealed: she is a maneater -- an assassin. As they take swings at each other, Moroha's holy sword awakens.|
|9||"Journey To Siberia"|
|March 8, 2015|
|Moroha challenges the Russia division to a fight on Lesya's behalf. With Edward's support, they arrive in Russia.|
|10||"Battle at Yekaterinburg"|
"Kessen· ekaterinburuku" (決戦・エカテリンブルク)
|March 15, 2015|
|With some help from his friends, Moroha finally faces the Russian Terror on her home turf. But when her Dark Arts turn out to be as powerful as his, it's unclear who will emerge victorious in this clash of titans.|
|11||"The Nightmare from a Former Life"|
"Akumu wa zense yori" (悪夢は前世より)
|March 22, 2015|
|The emergence of a Metaphysical delays Moroha's departure from Russia. Little does anyone realize, a dark specter from his former lives is about to reappear in Japan, forcing everyone there to face it without his aid. The Metaphysical destroys everything in sight. Moraha gets informed about the Metaphysical and remembers both of his past lifes discovering that he lost both of the people he loved by the Metaphysical.|
|12||"Surpass Two Lives"|
"Futatsu no nama o koe" (二つの生を越え)
|March 29, 2015|
|The Saviors fight valiantly in what appears to be a losing battle against an unusually intelligent Metaphysical. When Moroha finally enters the fray, he finds it will take more than his powers alone to emerge victorious.|
- "World Break Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman Cast Announcement". Funimation.com. February 19, 2015. Archived from the original on February 20, 2015. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱〈ワールドブレイク〉 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱〈ワールドブレイク〉 2 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱〈ワールドブレイク〉 3 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 4 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 5 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 6 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 7 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 8 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 9 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 10 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 11 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 12 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 13 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱<ワールドブレイク> 14 (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱 (1) (カドカワコミックス・エース) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱 (2) (カドカワコミックス・エース) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱 (3) (カドカワコミックス・エース) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Seiken Tsukai no World Break Anime Premieres in January". Anime News Network. September 18, 2014. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Funimation to Stream World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Sword". Anime News Network. 2014-12-31. Retrieved 2014-12-31.
- Official manga website (Japanese)
- Official anime website (Japanese)
- TV Tokyo Official Anime Website(Japanese)
- Funimation Official Anime website
- World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia