William d'Aubigny, 3rd Earl of Arundel
A royal favourite
William was a favourite of King John. He witnessed King John's concession of the kingdom to the Pope on 15 May 1213. On 14 June 1216 he joined Prince Louis (later Louis VIII of France) after King John abandoned Winchester. He returned to the allegiance of the King Henry III after the Royalist victory at Lincoln, on 14 July 1217.
Death returning from the Fifth Crusade
He joined in the Fifth Crusade (1217–1221), in 1218. He died on his journey home, in Caneill, Italy, near Rome, on 1 February 1221. News of his death reached England on 30 March 1221. He was brought home and buried at Wymondham Abbey.
Marriage and issue
After 1196 and before 1200 William married Mabel of Chester (born c. 1173), daughter of Hugh de Kevelioc, 5th Earl of Chester, and Bertrade de Montfort. They were the parents of eight children.
- Avice de Aubigny (1196–1214), the wife of William Mowbray
- Maud d'Aubigny, (d.aft 1210), the wife of 1. Robert de Tateshal, 2. Gille Brigte, Earl of Strathearn
- Cicely d'Aubigny married Roger de Mahaut of Elford (d.1260)
- Colette d'Aubigny (d.aft 1233)
- William d'Aubigny, 4th Earl of Arundel (d. 1224); buried Wymondham Abbey
- Hugh d'Aubigny, 5th Earl of Arundel (d. 7 May 1243); buried Wymondham Abbey
- Isabel d'Aubigny; married John Fitzalan, Lord of Oswestry
- Nicole or Nichole d'Aubigny (d.abt 1240); married Roger de Somery, Baron Somery of Dudley Castle (died 26 August 1273), son of Ralph de Somery (died 1211).
- Lady Mabel d'Albini(1240-1330)married Robert de Tattershall
- Brown, R. Allen (1988). Castle Rising Castle. London, UK: English Heritage. p. 15. ISBN 185074159X.
- Harley MS 6700, London: British Library, Harley MS 6700
|Wikisource has the text of the 1885–1900 Dictionary of National Biography's article about William de Albini.|
- Lewis Weis, Frederick. Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America Before 1700.
- Remfry, P.M. Buckenham Castles, 1066 to 1649. ISBN 1-899376-28-3.
- Cokayne, George .E.; Gibbs, Vicary; Doubleday, Harry.A.; White, Geoffrey H.; Warrand, Duncan; de Walden, Lord Howard (2000) [1910–1959]. The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant. vol. I (new ed., 13 volumes in 14 ed.). Gloucester: Alan Sutton Publishing.
|Peerage of England|
who was preceded by William d'Aubigny, 1st Earl of Arundel
|Earl of Arundel
| Succeeded by|
who was succeeded by Hugh d'Aubigny, 5th Earl of Arundel