William Pleydell-Bouverie, 9th Earl of Radnor
The son of Jacob Pleydell-Bouverie, 8th Earl of Radnor, by his marriage to Anne Garden Seth-Smith, daughter of Donald Farquharson Seth-Smith, Pleydell-Bouverie was educated at Harrow and the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. Until the death of his father, he was known by the courtesy title of Viscount Folkestone.
In 1996 he married Melissa Stanford, daughter of J. K. E. Stanford,formerly Director-General of the Leonard Cheshire Foundation, and a grand-daughter of the author J. K. Stanford. They have four sons and two daughters: Lady Hope (born 1997); Jacob, Viscount Folkestone (born 1999); Luke (born 2000); Dan (born 2002); Edward (born 2004); and a daughter born in 2007. The heir apparent is their eldest son, Jacob Pleydell-Bouverie, Viscount Folkestone.
In 2014, Radnor declined to meet a distant relation, the Dutch architect Jan des Bouvrie, who had found that his ancestor Jehan de le Bouvrie (born about 1480), was also the ancestor of the Earls of Radnor.
The Daily Express reported in May 2016, during the European Union referendum campaign, that in 2014 Radnor's company Longford Farms Limited received £453,618 from the European Union to pay for the upkeep of the Longford Castle estate.
- Seth-Smith family tree at seth-smith.org.uk, accessed 5 December 2008
- Folkestone, Viscount (born 5 Jan. 1955), in Who's Who 2008 (London, A. & C. Black, 2008
- Burke's Peerage, volume 3 (2003), p. 3,248
- Stanford, James Keith Edward, in Who's Who 2008 (London, A. & C. Black, 2008
- Notice in The Daily Telegraph dated 27 September 2007
- Verborgen Verleden, season 5, episode 6 (Jan des Bouvrie) at npo.nl (in Dutch)
- Earl of Radnor refuses interview over controversial plans for 100 homes on meadows dated 17 October 2015, accessed 3 August 2016
- Nick Gutteridge, Would EU believe it! Sam Cam’s dad rakes in MILLIONS in Euro subsidies in The Daily Express dated 16 May 2016, accessed 3 August 2016
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Earl of Radnor
| Succeeded by|