William Etty (architect)
Life and work
He was the son of John Etty of York (c. 1634 – 1708), also an architect and craftsman, to whom there is a monument in All Saints North Street. William Etty's first known building was the Moot Hall, Leeds (1710, demolished in 1825). Holy Trinity, Sunderland, followed in 1719 and Holy Trinity Church, Leeds, in 1722–7 (the steeple is a later addition by R D Chantrell). He also worked at John Vanbrugh's Castle Howard from 1701 onwards and at Seaton Delaval Hall from 1719.
Etty also contributed work to a number of country houses and estates, notably Temple Newsam House, Barrowby Hall (Austhorpe), Whixley Hall, Brocklesby Park, Holme Hall at Holme-on-Spalding-Moor, Scriven Park (Knaresborough), and Aldby Park.
In later life, he was clerk of works at Colen Campbell's Newby Park (Baldersby Park) in 1720–1, and, from 1729 until his death, on the mausoleum at Castle Howard designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor. In 1727, he built the stone bridge across the River Derwent at Stamford Bridge.
- Colvin, Howard (2008) . A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1660-1840 (4th ed.). New Haven and London: Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-12508-5.
- Evans, Antonia (ed) (2002). The York Book. York: Blue Bridge. ISBN 0-9542749-0-3.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Neave, David (1995) . Yorkshire: York and the East Riding (2nd ed.). London: Penguin Books. pp. 709–10. ISBN 0-14-071061-2.