William B. Spofford
William Benjamin Spofford, Jr. (January 28, 1921—November 5, 2013) was the 4th Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon from 1969 to 1979 From 1979 to 1984 he served as Assistant Bishop of Washington (D.C.). He was the son of William B. Spofford Sr., also a priest and from 1919 to 1972 editor of The Witness.
An alumnus of Lenox School for Boys, he received a BA from Antioch College, and a BD from the Episcopal Theological School (now the Episcopal Divinity School) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which bestowed its Distinguished Alumnus Award on him in 2009. He was ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church in 1945. He later studied at the Yale Center for Alcohol Studies and earned an MSW from the University of Michigan.
He was married to the former Pauline L. Fawcett from 1944 until her death in 2008.
- "RIP: Eastern Oregon Bishop William Spofford - Episcopal Church".
- Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon, "About the Bishop"
- Hyer, Marjorie (15 September 1979). "Washington Episcopal Diocese to Get Assistant Bishop" – via washingtonpost.com.
- "About". thewitness.org.
- "Western Episcopalian | Episcopal Church". episcopalchurch.org. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Alumni/ae Awards | Episcopal Divinity School". www.eds.edu. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "WILLIAM SPOFFORD's Obituary on New York Times".