West Tyrone (Northern Ireland Parliament constituency)
Former County Constituency|
for the Parliament of Northern Ireland
West Tyrone shown within Northern Ireland
|Election method||First past the post|
West Tyrone was a constituency of the Parliament of Northern Ireland.
West Tyrone was a county constituency comprising the western part of County Tyrone. It was created when the House of Commons (Method of Voting and Redistribution of Seats) Act (Northern Ireland) 1929 introduced first-past-the-post elections throughout Northern Ireland. West Tyrone was created by the division of Fermanagh and Tyrone into eight new constituencies, of which five were in County Tyrone. The constituency survived unchanged, returning one member of Parliament until the Parliament of Northern Ireland was temporarily suspended in 1972, and then formally abolished in 1973.
The constituency was consistently won by members of the Nationalist Party. Members of the Ulster Unionist Party contested the seat on three occasions, twice winning more than 40% of the vote each time. The remaining elections were uncontested.
Members of Parliament
|1929||Alex Donnelly||Nationalist Party|
|1949||Roderick O'Connor||Nationalist Party|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Northern Ireland 1921–72
|UUP||J. C. Fyffe||5,843||44.2||-2.1|
- Northern Ireland Parliamentary Election results: Constituency Boundaries
- Northern Ireland Parliamentary Election Results: Counties: Tyrone