Wellington Hospital, London
|Hospital Corporation of America|
|Location||St John's Wood, London, England, United Kingdom|
|Coordinates||51°31′57″N 0°10′21″W / 51.5325°N 0.1726°WCoordinates: 51°31′57″N 0°10′21″W / 51.5325°N 0.1726°W|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The Wellington Hospital in St John's Wood, North London is the largest independent hospital in the United Kingdom, and part of HCA International hospital group. It is known for its cardiac services, neurosurgery, liver and HPB medicine, rehabilitation, gynaecology, orthopaedics, and other services.
The Wellington Hospital has four main sites: North Building, South Building, Central Building and the new Platinum Medical Centre. The Wellington Hospital, The Platinum Medical Centre and The Diagnostics & Outpatients Centre at Golders Green conduct diagnostic services including: Magnetic Resonance Scanners (MRI), PET CT (Low Dose, Dual Source), 64 Slice CT scanner, Digital Radiology, Interventional Radiology Lab, Ultrasound (multi-use), Cardiac imaging & Research Centre (CIRC) and Pathology Services.
The most recent addition to The Wellington Hospital is the new Platinum Medical Centre, which opened on 3 May 2011. The Platinum Medical Centre houses a diagnostic and imaging centre with PET CT and two MRI scanners together X-Ray, ultrasound and cardiology diagnostics.
Originally commissioned by the British and Commonwealth Shipping Group – The Wellington Hospital South Building opened on 25 April 1974 with 98 rooms and three operating theatres. Most patients expected to stay 8 - 14 days. Dr Arthur Levin, The Wellington Hospital's founder and first medical director, had a vision of a first class hospital, which incorporated the best medical and nursing care - alongside accommodation and service normally associated with a luxury hotel. With the success of the first hospital behind it, 1982 saw the opening of the hospital’s twin - the North Building built on Circus Road, St John’s Wood. Architect, Frederick Woodhead, who designed both the North and South Wellington Buildings, championed such things as ‘sense sensitive’ design; developing a place for patients as well as consultants and nursing staff. With patients foremost in mind, both hospitals were built in the shape of a ziggurat, allowing each room to capture the maximum amount of natural light in each patient room. Until the early 90’s babies where delivered in the North Building, where the renowned Special Care Baby Unit was once located. In 2007 the hospital expanded again, opening its satellite centre in Golders Green – The Wellington Diagnostics and Outpatients Centre, and in 2011 the Platinum Medical Centre, the hospital’s day case and outpatient opened - making it the largest independent outpatient facility of its kind in the country. Today, The Wellington Hospital is the largest private hospital in the UK, with 266 beds, 15 operating theatres, 50+ consulting rooms, and has an international reputation for excellence which spans worldwide.
From 1 March 2012-9 July 2013, Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau, a member of the Dutch Royal Family, was a patient at Wellington Hospital. Prince Friso, who was buried under an avalanche in Lech, Austria, while skiing off piste, suffered massive brain damage due to oxygen shortage. He died on 12 August 2013 in the Netherlands.