St Andrew's parish church
Wanborough shown within Wiltshire
|Population||2,069 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference||SU2082|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||South Swindon|
Wanborough is a large village and civil parish in the borough of Swindon, Wiltshire, England. The village is about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) southeast of Swindon town centre. The settlement along the High Street is Lower Wanborough, while Upper Wanborough is on higher ground to the southwest. The parish includes the hamlets of Horpit (a short distance north of Wanborough) and Foxhill, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the southeast.
There was a Roman settlement, Durocornovium, slightly northwest of the current village, at a road junction mentioned in the Antonine Itinerary. Being the last vicus on Ermin Way or Ermin Street before the scarp slope of the Marlborough Downs, Durocornovium was a site where horses were watered before the steep climb off the Oxfordshire plain.
Wanborough was recorded in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as Wôdnes-beorg which later became Wodnesborough before becoming Wanborough.
Wanborough is just off the Ridgeway National Trail. Development in a strip along the road frontages characterised the village, which reached maximum development in the 4th century.
The Church of England parish church of Saint Andrew is unusual in having a spire at one end and a tower at the other. There are only three parish churches with this feature in the UK. The others are at nearby Purton and at Ormskirk, Lancashire.
The village has a primary school and a small post office. The village has five public houses: The Brewers Arms; The New Calley Arms; The Cross Keys; The Harrow; and The Plough. There was also a sixth pub called The Black Horse which closed down early in 2012.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Jaques, Tony. 'Dictionary of Battles And Sieges: A Guide to 8,500 Battles from Antiquity Through the Twenty-first Century'. Greenwood Publishing Group, 2006. ISBN 0-313-33536-2, ISBN 978-0-313-33536-5. Length: 1432 page
- Duignan, William Henry. 'Notes on Staffordshire Place Names'. H. Frowde, 1902. Length: 178 pages
- Johnston, James Brown. 'The Place-names of England and Wales. E.P. Dutton and Co., 1916, Princeton University. Length: 532 pages
- Green, John Richard. 'A Short History of the English People'. Macmillan, London 1901. Digital: https://archive.org/details/shorthistoryofen01greeuoft
- Stillwell, ed. Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites, s.v. "Durocornovium"
- The New Calley Arms
- The Harrow Inn
- The Burj
- Wanborough Show
- Redlands Airfield
Media related to Wanborough, Wiltshire at Wikimedia Commons