The Walton family is an American family whose collective fortune makes them among the richest families in the world. The majority of their wealth derives from the heritage of Bud and Sam Walton, who were the founders of the world's largest retailer, Walmart. The three most prominent living members (Jim, Rob and Alice) have consistently been in the top ten of the Forbes 400 since 2001, as were John (d. 2005) and Helen (d. 2007) prior to their deaths. Christy Walton took her husband John's place after his death.
As of July 2016 the Waltons collectively own 52 percent of the company, and are worth a combined total of about US$149 billion.
Walton family fortune
The Walton family fortune according to Forbes magazine, as of July 3, 2016:
- Jim Walton $36.5 billion
- Alice Walton $35.3 billion
- S. Robson Walton $35 billion
- Lukas Walton $11 billion
- Christy Walton $5.5 billion
- Ann Walton Kroenke $4.9 billion
- Nancy Walton Laurie $4.4 billion
- "Richest Family in the World – Walton Family, Koch Brothers and Quandt". Techscio. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Bryan Rich. "Christy Walton & family". Forbes. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Jerin Mathew. "Walton family are richest in the US with $149bn net worth – Forbes". International Business Times UK. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "The Richest Family In The World 2011 – Worth $93 billion". TheRichest. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "The Richest Family In The World 2011 – Worth $93 billion". The Richest].
- Kroll, Lulsa. "America's richest families". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Kate Vinton. "Jim Walton". Forbes. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Bartie Scott. "Alice Walton". Forbes. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Bryan Rich. "S. Robson Walton". Forbes. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Morgan Brennan. "Ann Walton Kroenke". Forbes. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Jim Dobson. "Nancy Walton Laurie". Forbes. Retrieved May 20, 2016.