View from Sonnebierg
Map of Luxembourg with Walferdange highlighted in orange, and the canton in dark red
|Coordinates: 49°39′00″N 6°08′00″E / 49.65°N 6.1333°ECoordinates: 49°39′00″N 6°08′00″E / 49.65°N 6.1333°E|
|• Mayor||Guy Arendt|
|• Total||7.06 km2 (2.73 sq mi)|
|Area rank||103rd of 105|
|Highest elevation||405 m (1,329 ft)|
|• Rank||46th of 105|
|Lowest elevation||228 m (748 ft)|
|• Rank||42nd of 105|
|• Rank||16th of 105|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,800/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||5th of 105|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The commune of Walferdange was formed on 1 January 1851, when it was detached from the commune of Steinsel. The law forming Walferdange was passed on 25 November 1850.
Although the commune first came into existence in 1851, there is evidence of prehistoric settlement as well as remains of a very large Roman villa. The Raschpëtzer Qanat, an underground aqueduct near Helmsange was built in the 1st century AD during the Roman occupation. It is said to be the longest qanat north of the Alps. Walferdange church was built between 1845 and 1852; the main features of its classical facade are two large statues of Père Kolbe and Thérèse de Lisieux, added at a later date. Before official unification of the commune, and even before this church was built, it was religion that pulled the villages of Heisdorf, Helmsange, Bereldange, and Walferdange together.
Sights include the Roman villa and the underground aqueduct, and Walferdange Castle, which was assigned to Grand Duke Adolphe according to the constitution. As an engaged winemaker, he enthusiastically served his guests wine from his own production. The palace was later vacated by the Grand Ducal family. The residential palace now houses the Faculty of Languages and Literature, Humanities, Art and Behavioral Sciences of the University of Luxembourg.
Official statistics 1821 - 2015
Transport in Walferdange
Walferdange is connected to the outside world by means of Walferdange railway station, national highway N7, and several buslines, including the city of Luxembourg busline 11.
The commune also has its own mini-bus service known as "Walfy".
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1850, No. 108" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-07-18.
- Roman aqueducts: Walferdange. Retrieved 2 December 2007.
- (French) "La commune - Commune de Walferdange". Administration communale de Walferdange. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- Source:Statec; Publication date: 08/04/2015; Periodicity: yearly.