Waldemar VI, Prince of Anhalt-Köthen
In 1471, his father concluded a succession contract with Adolph I, Prince of Anhalt-Köthen. Under the terms of this contract, George I, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau, took over the government of half the principality of Anhalt-Köthen and became co-ruler with Adolf as "Mitherr." Shortly after, George renounced his rights in favor of Waldemar, who became the new co-ruler with Adolph I.
Adolph I died two years later, in 1473, and Waldemar then had to rule jointly with his half-brother and heir, Albert VI. The new Prince Albert died fifteen months later and was succeeded by his infant son Philip. Upon the death of Albert VI, two sons of Adolph I, Magnus and Adolph II, were included in the government of the principality.
During his lifetime, Waldemar also assumed the following titles: "Lord of Köthen" (in 1480), "Lord of Hoym" (in 1492), and "Lord of Burgscheidungen" (in 1496).
Philip died without issue in 1500 and Adolph I's sons formally renounced their rights to rule the principality eight years later. In consequence, Waldemar became the sole ruler of Anhalt-Köthen, but enjoyed this status for only a few months during the year 1508.
On his death, he was succeeded by his only surviving son, Wolfgang.
Marriage and issue
In Köthen on 24 January 1485 Waldemar married Margarete (b. Rudolstadt, 16 June 1464 - d. Köthen, 1 August 1539), daughter of Günther XXXVI, Count of Schwarzburg and Lord of Arnstedt. They had four children:
- Barbara (b. 1486 - d. 10 August 1532), married on 25 November 1503 to Henry IV, Count of Plauen and Burggrave of Meissen, and secondly ca. 1521 to Jan Maštovský z Kolowrat (they separated on 10 June 1528).
- Waldemar (b. 1490 - d. young).
- Wolfgang, Prince of Anhalt-Köthen (b. Köthen, 1 August 1492 - d. Zerbst, 23 March 1566).
- Margaret (b. Köthen, 12 November 1494 - d. Weimar, 7 October 1521), married on 13 November 1513 to John, Elector of Saxony.
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Rulers of Anhalt, Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy,
- Marek, Miroslav. "Complete Genealogy of the House of Ascania". Genealogy.EU. External link in
- Genealogical databse by Herbert Stoyan
Waldemar VI, Prince of Anhalt-KöthenBorn: 1450 Died: 1 November 1508
|Prince of Anhalt-Köthen
with Adolph I until 1473
with Philip until 1500
with Magnus until 1508
with Adolph II until 1508
| Succeeded by|