Vilnius Academy of Arts
|Vilniaus dailės akademija|
The Academy traces its roots back to the creation of the Architect Department at the University of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1793. The Department of Painting and Drawing was established in 1797, followed by the Department of Graphics (Engraving), and in 1805 – the Departments of Sculpture and History of art. In 1832, the University was temporarily closed, and reopened in 1919 with departments of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Art. In 1940, the art studies in Lithuania were united under Vilnius art institute and Kaunas art schools. Later, the Academy saw several re-organisations, and in 1990 the name of Vilnius Academy of Arts was reinstated.
The academy began working with UNESCO in 2000, when the UNESCO department of culture management and culture policy was created.
- Danas Andriulionis, Lithuanian artist
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vilnius Art Academy.|