|Comune di Villalvernia|
Location of Villalvernia in Italy
|Coordinates: 44°48′59″N 8°51′30″E / 44.81639°N 8.85833°ECoordinates: 44°48′59″N 8°51′30″E / 44.81639°N 8.85833°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Alessandria (AL)|
|• Total||4.63 km2 (1.79 sq mi)|
|Elevation||193 m (633 ft)|
|• Density||200/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Saint day||7 October|
Probably founded during the 10th century, and simply called Villa, the town was partially enfeoffed to the bishops of Tortona by Pope Adrian IV (Nicholas Breakspear). In 1413 Filippo Maria Visconti enfeoffed it to Guglielmo d’Alvernia. The village remained with the Alvernias for 167 years, which explains the “alvernia” part of the placename.
On 1 December 1944, the village was bombed by the United States Air Force, which was targeting the railway offices which had been transferred from Genoa. One hundred and fourteen inhabitants were killed, and 235 wounded in the bombing.
- All demographics and other statistics from the Italian statistical institute (Istat)