Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba, 18th Duchess of Medinaceli
|Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba|
|Duchess of Medinaceli (more...)|
|Duchess of Medinaceli|
|Tenure||13 July 1956 – 18 August 2013|
|Predecessor||Luis Fernández de Córdoba, 17th Duke of Medinaceli|
|Successor||Prince Marco of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, 19th Duke of Medinaceli|
|Spouse(s)||Rafael de Medina y Vilallonga (m. 1938; dec. 1992)|
Ana Luisa de Medina, 13th Marquise of Navahermosa
Luis de Medina, 9th Duke of Santisteban del Puerto
Rafael de Medina, 19th Duke of Feria
Ignacio de Medina, 19th Duke of Segorbe
María Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba, Fernández de Henestrosa, Salabert y Gayoso de los Cobos
House of Medinaceli|
House of Cordoba
|Father||Luis Fernández de Córdoba, 17th Duke of Medinaceli|
|Mother||Ana María Fernández de Henestrosa y Gayoso de los Cobos|
16 April 1917|
Medinaceli Palace, Madrid, Spain
18 August 2013 (aged 96)|
Pilatos Palace, Seville, Spain
|Buried||Tavera Hospital, Toledo, Spain|
Doña Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba y Fernández de Henestrosa pronounced: [bikˈtoɾja ewˈxenja feɾˈnandeθ de ˈkoɾðoβa i feɾˈnandeθ de enesˈtɾosa] (16 April 1917 – 18 August 2013) was 18th Duchess of Medinaceli in her own right and a Grandee of Spain, head of the Spanish noble House of Medinaceli and patron of the Ducal House of Medinaceli Foundation.
Doña Victoria was born the eldest daughter of Don Luis Jesús Fernández de Córdoba y Salabert, 17th Duke of Medinaceli and Doña Ana María Fernández de Henestrosa y Gayoso de los Cobos. She married Rafael de Medina y Vilallonga at Seville on 1 December 1938 and succeeded to the dukedom in 1956, upon her father's death. Before that she was styled as 16th Duchess of Alcalá de los Gazules, a courtesy title granted by her father. The Duchess was the most titled noblewoman in Spain, and holder of one of its most ancient dukedoms.
In 1980 the Duchess established the Ducal House of Medinaceli Foundation which manages the Casa de Pilatos in Sevilla, her principal residence, as well as the Hospital de San Juan Bautista in Toledo and the Palacio de Oca in Galicia.
The Duchess married, on 12 January 1938 at Seville, Rafael de Medina y Vilallonga, Knight of the Real Maestranza de Caballería de Sevilla and Mayor of Seville from 1943–47. The Duke was son of Luis de Medina y Garvey, second son of the 4th Marquis of Esquivel, and Amelia de Vilallonga e Ibarra. Children:
- Doña Ana Luisa de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba, 12th Marquise of Navahermosa (b. 2 May 1940 - d. 7 March 2012), who married firstly at Seville, the 3 June 1961, Prince Maximilian Emmanuel of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, of the Hohenlohe princely family, brother of Prince Alfonso of Hohenlohe-Langenburg. Divorced in 1982, she married secondly, in 1985, Jaime de Urzáiz y Fernández del Castillo, Minister of Culture. Children from her first marriage:
- Prince Marco of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (b. 8 March 1962 - d. 19 August 2016), married at Ronda, on 1 June 1996, Sandra Schmidt-Polex, daughter of Hans Carl Schmidt-Polex, and Karin Goepfer, having issue.
- Prince Pablo of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (b. 5 March 1963), married at Tavera Monastery, Toledo on 6 June 2002, María del Prado y Muguiro, daughter of Juan Carlos del Prado, 11th Marquis of Caicedo, and Teresa de Muguiro y Pidal, having issue.
- Princess Flavia of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (b. 9 March 1964), married at Seville, on 10 November 1990, her second cousin José Luis de Vilallonga y Sanz, having issue.
- Don Luis de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba, 9th Duke of Santisteban del Puerto, Grandee of Spain (b. 4 June 1941 - d. 9 Feb 2011), who married at Seville, on 1 December 1985, Mercedes Conradi y Ramírez. Daughters:
- Don Rafael de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba, 19th Duke of Feria, Grandee of Spain (b. 10 August 1942 - d. 5 August 2001), married at the Hermitage of El Rocío, Almonte, Natividad Abascal y Romero-Toro (divorced in 1989). Children:
- Don Rafael de Medina, 20th Duke of Feria, Grandee of Spain (b. 25 September 1978).
- Don Luis de Medina y Abascal (b. 31 August 1980).
- Don Ignacio de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba, 19th Duke of Segorbe, Grandee of Spain (b. 23 February 1947), married at Seville, on 24 October 1985, Princess Maria da Glória of Orléans-Braganza, daughter of Prince Pedro Gastão of Orléans-Braganza and wife Princess Maria de la Esperanza of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. Daughters:
- Doña Sol María de la Blanca de Medina y Orléans-Braganza, 54th Countess of Ampurias (b. 8 August 1986).
- Doña Ana Luna de Medina y Orléans-Braganza, 17th Countess of Ricla (b. 4 May 1988).
|Ancestors of Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba, 18th Duchess of Medinaceli|
Victoria Eugenia's patriline is the line from which she is descended father to son. Patrilineal descent is the principle behind membership in Ducal Houses, as it can be traced back through the generations - which means that Victoria Eugenia’s historically accurate House name would be Figueroa.
Titles and styles
- 18th Duchess of Medinaceli, Grandee of Spain
- 19th Duchess of Segorbe, Grandee of Spain -Ceded to her son Don Ignacio
- 16th Duchess of Alcalá de los Gazules, Grandee of Spain
- 18th Duchess of Feria, Grandee of Spain -Ceded to her son Don Rafael
- 12th Duchess of Camiña, Grandee of Spain
- 8th Duchess of Santisteban del Puerto, Grandee of Spain -Ceded to her son Don Luis
- 13th Duchess of Ciudad Real, Grandee of Spain
- 4th Duchess of Denia, Grandee of Spain
- 4th Duchess of Tarifa, Grandee of Spain
- 17th Marquise of Priego, Grandee of Spain
- 17th Marquise of Camarasa, Grandee of Spain
- 14th Marquise of Aitona, Grandee of Spain
- 11th Marquise of la Torrecilla, Grandee of Spain
- 17th Marquise of Denia
- 20th Marquise of Pallars
- 17th Marquise of Comares
- 19th Marquise of Tarifa
- 17th Marquise of las Navas
- 15th Marquise of Villalba -Ceded to her son Don Rafael
- 14th Marquise of Alcalá de la Alameda
- 15th Marquise of Villafranca
- 14th Marquise of Malagón
- 15th Marquise of Montalbán
- 13th Marquise of Solera -Ceded to her son Don Luis
- 12th Marquise of Navahermosa -Ceded to her daughter Doña Ana
- 14th Marquise of Cilleruelo
- 9th Marquise of San Miguel das Penas and la Mota
- 17th Countess of Santa Gadea, Grandee of Spain
- 52nd Countess of Ampurias -Ceded to her son Don Ignacio
- 26th Countess of Prades
- 22nd Countess of Osona
- 22nd Countess of Castrojeriz
- 20th Countess of Cocentaina
- 19th Countess of Medellín
- 19th Countess of the Risco
- 24th Countess of Buendía
- 19th Countess of the Molares, Adelantada Mayor of Andalusia
- 14th Countess of Villalonso
- 16th Countess of Castellar
- 15th Countess of Ricla -Ceded to her son Don Ignacio
- 14th Countess of Aramayona
- 15th Countess of Amarante
- 12th Countess of Alcoutim
- 12th Countess of Valenza and Valladares
- 10th Countess of Moriana del Río -Ceded to her son Don Luis
- 8th Countess of Ofalia -Ceded to her daughter Doña Ana
- 46th Viscountess of Bas
- 44th Viscountess of Cabrera
- 42nd Viscountess of Vilamur
- 12th Viscountess of Linares
- The Most Excellent Doña Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba y Fernández de Henestrosa (1917–1951).
- The Most Excellent The Duchess of Alcalá de los Azules (1951–1956).
- The Most Excellent The Duchess of Medinaceli (1956-2013).
- Boletín Oficial del Estado
- "Fallece la duquesa de Medinaceli", elmundo.es; accessed 18 February 2015.
- Fundación Casa Ducal de Medinaceli, retrieved 18 February 2015
- Heirs apparents of Grandees of Spain share their style, which is The Most Excellent. Francisco López-Nieto y Mallo, Honores y Protocolo, 2 Volumes, Consultor, 2006. ISBN 84-7052-290-6 and ISBN 978-84-7052-290-1
- Ducal House of Medinaceli Foundation website, fundacionmedinaceli.org; accessed 18 February 2015.
- Profile, grandesp.org.uk; accessed 18 February 2015.
Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba
House of MedinaceliBorn: 16 April 1917 Died: 18 August 2013
Luis Fernández de Córdoba
|Duchess of Medinaceli, etc.
| Succeeded by|
Prince Marco of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
|Duchess of Feria; Marchioness of Villalba
| Succeeded by|
Rafael de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba
|Duchess of Santisteban del Puerto
Marchioness of Solero
| Succeeded by|
Luis de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba
|Duchess of Segorbe
Countess of Ampurias; Countess of Ricla
Countess of Moriana del Río
| Succeeded by|
Ignacio de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba
|Marchioness of Navahermosa
Countess of Ofalia
| Succeeded by|
Ana de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba