Victoria College (Texas)
|Victoria Junior College|
|Location||Victoria, Texas, United States|
|Website||Official Home Page|
Coordinates: 28°49′1″N 96°58′45.5″W / 28.81694°N 96.979306°W Victoria College (VC) is a community college serving Victoria, Texas and the surrounding counties. The college first began classes in the Patti Welder High School on February 4, 1925. After World War II, because of the growth of the surrounding area and the college population from returning GIs, the college built its own campus and changed its name from the Victoria Junior College to Victoria College. The college shares some facilities with the University of Houston–Victoria.
VC has two extension campuses, one in Port Lavaca and another in Gonzales. The college also serves numerous other sites through 'ITV' distance learning system.
The college has an athletic program which consists of a woman's volleyball team and a men's basketball team, whose mascot is the Pirates.
As defined by the Texas Legislature, the official service area of VC is the following:
- all of Calhoun, DeWitt, Lavaca, and Victoria Counties,
- all of Jackson County, excluding the territory within the Ganado Independent School District,
- all of Refugio County, excluding the territory within the Woodsboro Independent School District, and
- all of Gonzales County, excluding the territory within the Nixon-Smiley Consolidated Independent School District.
- Jim Lehrer, journalist
- Geanie Morrison, member of the Texas House of Representatives from District 30 since 1999; includes Victoria County
- Official web site
- Mission, Values, & History
- Victoria Economic Development Corporation economic development