Vevelstad within Nordland
|Coordinates: 65°40′6″N 12°31′7″E / 65.66833°N 12.51861°ECoordinates: 65°40′6″N 12°31′7″E / 65.66833°N 12.51861°E|
|• Mayor (2003)||Ken-Richard Hansen (Sp)|
|• Total||538.83 km2 (208.04 sq mi)|
|• Land||517.14 km2 (199.67 sq mi)|
|• Water||21.69 km2 (8.37 sq mi)|
|Area rank||198 in Norway|
|• Rank||427 in Norway|
|• Density||1.0/km2 (3/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||-9.7 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1816|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
The municipality of Vevelstad was established on 1 July 1916 when it was separated from the municipality of Tjøtta. Initially, the municipality had 1,097 residents. On 1 July 1920, the Giskåen farm area (population: 10) was transferred from Tjøtta to Vevelstad.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Vevelstad farm (Old Norse: Vifilsstaðir), since the first church was built there. The first element is the genitive case of the Norse male name Vifill and the last element is staðir which means "homestead" or "farm".
The coat-of-arms is from modern times; they were granted on 13 November 1991. The arms are canting, showing the first letter of the name, V. The municipality already applied for arms in the 1970s, but all the proposals were rejected by either the council or the national archives. Finally the above arms were adopted and granted.
of the Church
The municipality lies in the middle of Norway, surrounded by mountains and fjords. A lot of the municipality is a part of Lomsdal–Visten National Park. The lake Søre Vistvatnet lies in the southeastern part of the municipality inside the national park. Most of the residents live along the coastline or on the island Hamnøya. The mouth of the Velfjorden lies in the southern part of the municipality.
All municipalities in Norway, including Vevelstad, are responsible for primary education (through 10th grade), outpatient health services, senior citizen services, unemployment and other social services, zoning, economic development, and municipal roads. The municipality is governed by a municipal council of elected representatives, which in turn elect a mayor.
|Party Name||Name in Norwegian||Number of|
|Local Lists||Lokale lister||10|
|Total number of members:||13|
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Rygh, Oluf (1905). Norske gaardnavne: Nordlands amt (in Norwegian) (16 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 51.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- "Table: 04813: Members of the local councils, by party/electoral list at the Municipal Council election (M)" (in Norwegian). Statistics Norway. 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vevelstad.|
- Nordland travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway