Veggie Pride is an international event that celebrates and promotes vegetarianism (including veganism).
Veggie Pride held annually in Paris since 2001, but later also has been emulated in other cities in the world. It brings together vegetarians including vegans who want to show their pride to refuse to eat animals, and denounce the discrimination which they claim they suffer, both personally and in terms of expressing their ideas. Veggie Pride aims to encourage vegetarians to affirm their convictions and to bring society to accept the debate on the legitimacy of the consumption of animals.
The first Italian Veggie Pride was held in Rome on 17 May 2008 and was attended by about 700 people. In 2009, Veggie Pride was held on May 16 simultaneously in Birmingham, Lyon, Milan and Prague.
The first American Veggie Pride Parade was held in 2008 in Manhattan, New York and was attended by several hundred vegetarian (including vegan) people.
On April 26, 2009 the Los Angeles Veggie Pride Parade was celebrated, that had Rory Freedman, author of Skinny Bitch, and Karen Dawn, author of Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals as special guest speakers. On May 17 of the same year the New York Veggie Pride Parade was celebrated, which included Freya Dinshah, director of the American Vegan Society, the Queens city councilman and mayoral candidate Tony Avella, Paul Shapiro, director of factory farming campaigns of the Humane Society of the United States and Christine "Peanut" Vardaros, vegan athlete, among others.
On June 2, 2012 the very first Chicago Veggie Pride Parade was held in the Grant Park, Chicago.
- ↑ En bref May 17. Libération (French)
- 1 2 Proud Vegetarians, in Costume, Take to the Streets May 19, 2008 The New York Times
- 1 2 Veggie Pride Parade to sprout from meat mecca Volume 77 / Number 50 - May 14–20, 2008 The Villager
- ↑ The Veggie Pride Manifesto Veggie Pride international site
- ↑ «"Il mondo è anche degli animali" – A Roma in piazza l'orgoglio Veggie» May 17, 2009 Liberazione (Italian)
- ↑ «E il Colosseo diventò animalista per un giorno – "Fermiamo la mattanza"» May 18, 2009 Liberazione (Italian)
- ↑ «Il "Veggie Pride" e l'etica del cibo». May 16, 2009 Il Manifesto
- ↑ «"Veggie Pride", corteo dal Colosseo per l'orgoglio vegetariano». May 17, 2009 Corriere della Sera
- ↑ First ever Veggie Pride in Birmingham UK
- ↑ Birmingham stages UK’s first Veggie Pride festival May 18, 2009 Birmingham Mail
- ↑ Veggie Pride on Display in Big Apple May 19, 2008 WNYC
- ↑ Vegetables on march against meat biz May 19th 2008 Daily News
- ↑ Los Angeles Veggie Pride Parade April 25th, 2009 Hollywood Today
- ↑ Veggie Pride Parade, New York City
- ↑ Chicago Veggie Pride Parade
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Veggie Pride.|