27th January, 1935|
= Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Genres||Indian classical music, playback singing|
She is the daughter of Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar and Shevanti (Shudhamati). She is the youngest sister among Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle and Meena Khadikar, and elder to her music-director brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar. She came into the spotlight as a playback singer after singing some devotional songs for the low-budget movie Jai Santoshi Maa (1975), which became an all-time blockbuster. She was nominated for the Filmfare Best Female Playback Singer award for her song "Main to Aarti" in that film. She sang the same songs for that movie's remake in 2006.
She had also produced musical drama Phoolwanti for Doordarshan.
Awards and nominations
- BFJA Awards for Best Female Playback Singer for Jai Santoshi Maa (1975)
- Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the song "Main to Aarti" from Jai Santoshi Maa (1975)
- Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the song "Mangta Hai To Aaja" from Inkaar (1977)
- Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the song "Humse Nazar To Milao" from Ikraar (1980)
- Main To Aarti Utaroon from Jai Santoshi Maa (1975)
- Aplam Chaplam from Azaad (1955)
- Khatta Meeta from Khatta Meetha (1978)
- Sultana Sultana from Taraana (1979)
- Goro Ki Na Kaalon Ki fromDisco Dancer (1981)
- Kahe Tarasaye Jayara .. Chitralekha (1964), duet With Asha Bhosle
- Mungla from Inkaar (1978)
- Pakdo, Pakdo, Pakdo from Naseeb (1980)
- Rang Jamake Jayenge from Naseeb (1980)
- Saare Niyam Tod Do from Khoobsurat (1980)
- Muje Pyar Ka Tohfa Deke from Kaala Patthar ) (1979)
- Oh Chali Chali Kaisi Hawa Ye Chali from Bluff Master (film) (1964)
- Sona-No Sooraj Ugyo from "Noorani Chehra"
- Aavo Aavo Momino Sahu Aavore from "Noorani Chehra"
and scores of Marathi songs for Dada Kondke including the most famous "Dhagala Lagli Kala" and "Tumhawar Keli Me Marji Bahar" from Pinjara. In 2008 Usha collaborated with Shaukat (Sam) Kassam for the CD Noorani Chehra to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of HH The Aga Khan.