|HOD (History) University of Delhi|
|Parents||Manmohan Singh and Gursharan Kaur|
PhD from McGill University, Canada|
St. Stephen's College, Delhi
Education and professional life
Singh is an alumna of St. Stephen's College, Delhi and received PhD from McGill University, Canada. She has Master of Arts in History and an M.Phil. in History, both from the University of Delhi. She has Ph.D. at McGill University, Montreal, Canada, with a thesis titled Kings, Brahmanas, and Temples in Orissa: an epigraphic study (300-1147 CE).
Singh was awarded the Netherlands Government Reciprocal Fellowship in 1985, to pursue research at the Instituut Kern, Leiden. She was awarded the Ancient India and Iran Trust/Wallace India Visiting Fellowship to pursue research in Cambridge and London in 1999. She was also a visiting fellow of Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge. Singh has received the prestigious Daniel Ingalls Fellowship at the Harvard-Yenching Institute, Harvard University in 2005.
She is the National Coordinator for History at the Institute of Life Long Learning at the University of Delhi.
On February 25, 2008, right wing activists demonstrated in the University of Delhi campus, in protest of an essay by A.K. Ramanujan, titled Three Hundred Ramayanas. The activists felt the essay was offensive, and alleged that Singh was responsible for its inclusion in a list of recommended readings for the BA programme in history. The University denied the allegation and stated that Singh was "… neither the editor nor compiler of the book on Cultural History of Ancient India."
- Books (authored)
- Kings, Brāhmaṇas and temples in Orissa: an epigraphic study AD 300-1147. New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal Publ. 1994. ISBN 9788121506212.
- Ancient Delhi. New Delhi: Oxford University Press. 1999. ISBN 9780195649192.
- Mysteries Of The Past: Archeological Sites In India. India: National Book Trust. 2002. ISBN 9788123739793. (for children)
- The discovery of ancient India: early archaeologists and the beginnings of archaeology. Delhi: Permanent Black. 2004. ISBN 9788178240886.
- A history of ancient and early medieval India : from the Stone Age to the 12th century. New Delhi: Pearson Longman. 2008. ISBN 9788131716779.
- Singh, Upinder; Dhar, Parul Pandya; Vatsyayan, Kapila (2014). Asian Encounters: Exploring Connected Histories. Oxford University Press.
- Books (edited)
- Delhi: Ancient history. New Delhi: Social Science Press. 2006. ISBN 9788187358299.
- Singh, Upinder; Lahiri, Nayanjot, eds. (2009). Ancient India: new research. Delhi: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198060284.
- "Amaravati: the dismembering of the Mahācaitya (1797–1886)". South Asian Studies. 17 (1): 19–40. January 2001. doi:10.1080/02666030.2001.9628590.
- "Cults and shrines in early historical Mathura (c. 200 B.C. – A.D. 200)". World Archaeology. 36 (3): 378–398. September 2004. doi:10.1080/0043824042000282803.
- "Prof. Upinder Singh". University of Delhi. Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- The Infosys Prize in Social Sciences – History, Infosys Science Foundation
- "PM's daughter has nothing to do with book on Ramayana". Indian Express. February 28, 2008. Retrieved October 29, 2012.