United Nations Security Council Resolution 822
|UN Security Council|
Azerbaijan with the Kalbajar Rayon highlighted
|Date||30 April 1993|
15 voted for|
None voted against
|Security Council composition|
United Nations Security Council resolution 822, adopted unanimously on 30 April 1993, after expressing concern at the deterioration of relations between the Armenia and Azerbaijan, and the subsequent escalation of armed hostilities and humanitarian situation in the region, the Council demanded the immediate cessation of hostilities and the immediate withdrawal of Armenian occupying forces in the Kalbajar district near Nagorno-Karabakh in Azerbaijan.
The Council urged the parties concerned to resume negotiations to bring about an end to the conflict within the framework of the peace process proposed by the OSCE Minsk Group, and refraining from any action that would disrupt the process. While it acknowledged Armenian involvement, it did not directly accuse Armenia of aggression.
The resolution then called for unimpeded access for international humanitarian relief efforts in the region to alleviate the suffering of the civilian population by way of humanitarian aid, reminding the parties to meet their obligationsn under international humanitarian law. It concluded by requesting the Secretary-General, in consultation with the Chairman-in-Office of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe as well as the Chairman of the Minsk Group of the Conference to assess the situation and report back to the Security Council.
- Armenia–Azerbaijan relations
- List of United Nations Security Council Resolutions 801 to 900 (1993–1994)
- Nagorno-Karabakh War
- United Nations Security Council resolutions on the Nagorno-Karabakh War
- Europa Publications Limited (1999). Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States, Volume 4 (30th ed.). Routledge. p. 176. ISBN 978-1-85743-058-5.
- Keesing's World News Archive (1993). "Apr 1993 – New Armenian offensive". Keesing's World News Archive. Keesing's Worldwide, LLC. 39: 39,424.
- Croissant, Michael P. (1998). The Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict: causes and implications. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 89. ISBN 978-0-275-96241-8.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|