Union of Protestant Churches of Alsace and Lorraine

Part of the series on
Rot un Wiss, flag of Alsace since 11th century.
  • Alsace portal
Part of the series on
Flag of Lorraine since the 13th century
  • Lorraine portal

The Union of Protestant Churches of Alsace and Lorraine (French: Union des Églises protestantes d'Alsace et de Lorraine) (UEPAL) was created in 2006 by bringing together the Protestant Church of Augsburg Confession of Alsace and Lorraine (EPCAAL] and the Protestant Reformed Church of Alsace and Lorraine (EPRAL). [1] While the new body is not a united church, it provides a common decision-making structure and a single body of pastors. [2]

The Union was established by virtue of a decree of 18 April 2006. It was celebrated on 7 May 2006 with a special service at St. Thomas Church in Strasbourg.

It has the responsibility for organizing joint activities and strengthening relations between the two constitutive churches in Alsace and the department of Moselle in Lorraine.

UEPAL totals some 250,000 church members, served by 250 priests. About 80% belong to EPCAAL, with the remaining 20% belonging to EPRAL. The two churches keep their own structures and retain separate membership in international organizations. Both are members of the Protestant Federation of France (FPF).

UEPAL normally holds two assemblies each year, in June and November. At the first assembly in 2006, the former Dean of the Faculty of Protestant Theology of the University of Strasbourg and President of EPCAAL, Jean-François Collange, was elected President. The term of office is three years. In 2009 Collange was elected for a second term. In 2012 he announced that he would be standing down at the end of 2013. [3]

In June 2013, the UEPAL announced that it was studying the issue of blessings for unions of same-sex couples. [4] The churches decided to consider the study, which would last for three years, and the issue at the assembly in 2017.[5]


  1. "The Protestant Churches of Alsace and Lorraine". Musée virtuel du protestantisme. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
  2. "Protestant Church of the Augsburg Confession of Alsace and Lorraine". World Council of Churches. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
  3. "Églises protestantes - un nouveau président en 2014". L'Alsace. 2012-11-11. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
  4. "UEPAL : la bénédiction de couples de même sexe à l'étude". Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
  5. "Bénédiction des couples homosexuels : l'UEPAL se donne du temps - France 3 Alsace". France 3 Alsace. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 7/15/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.