USS Lawrence (1813)
Raised hulk of Lawrence, Misery Bay, Erie, Pennsylvania, 1875
|Awarded:||18 February 1813|
|Builder:||Adam and Noah Brown|
|Launched:||24 May 1813|
|Out of service:||1815|
|Fate:||Sunk for preservation 1815, raised 1875, lost in 1876 fire|
|Class and type:||Niagara-class brig|
|Length:||109 ft 9 in (33.45 m)|
|Beam:||32 ft (9.8 m)|
|Draft:||4 ft 8 in (1.42 m)|
USS Lawrence was one of two 493-ton Niagara-class brigs (more correctly: snows) built at Erie, Pennsylvania, by Adam and Noah Brown under the supervision of Sailing Master Daniel Dobbins and Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry, for United States Navy service on the Great Lakes during the War of 1812.
She was commissioned in early August 1813 and quickly began operations with a voyage to Detroit, Michigan in search of the opposing British squadron. During the 10 September 1813 Battle of Lake Erie, Lawrence served as flagship for Perry until she was disabled by enemy fire. Perry then transferred to her sister ship, Niagara, from which he fought the battle to a successful conclusion.
In mid-1815, following the end of hostilities, Lawrence was sunk in Misery Bay on Presque Isle, Pennsylvania in order to preserve her hull. Her submerged hulk was sold in 1825 and, except for a brief examination in 1836, remained underwater for five more decades.
In September 1875, her remains were raised, cut into sections and transported by rail to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where she was exhibited during The U.S. Centennial International Exhibition of 1876. Her remains were destroyed by a fire during that exhibition.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Naval History & Heritage Command.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- Photo gallery at Naval Historical Center