Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle (1668)
The treaty was mediated and guaranteed by the Triple Alliance of England, the Dutch Republic and Sweden at the first Congress of Aix-la-Chapelle. France was forced to abandon its war against the Spanish Netherlands.
Spain had the cities of Cambrai (Kamerijk), Aire (Ariën aan de Leie) and Saint-Omer (Sint-Omaars) restored to it by Louis XIV. Louis XIV also had to return the province of Franche-Comté. Louis XIV was however allowed to keep Armentières (Armentiers), Bergues (Sint-Winoksbergen), Charleroi, Courtrai (Kortrijk), Douai (Dowaai), Furnes (Veurne), Lille (Rijsel), Oudenarde (Oudenaarde, Audenarde), and Tournai (Doornik).
The treaty left to France all her conquests in Flanders in 1667. This was a vague provision which, after the Peace of Nijmegen (1679), Louis XIV took advantage of to occupy a number of villages and towns he adjudged to be dependencies of the cities and territories acquired in 1668.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "article name needed". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Phillipson, Coleman (2010) [First published 1916]. Termination Of War And Treaties Of Peace. The Lawbook Exchange. ISBN 1584778601.
- du Mont, Jean, Baron de Carlscroon (1726–1731). Corps universel diplomatique du droit des gens. Amsterdam, The Hague. OCLC 558450542. Also OCLC 22014082 and OCLC 6967152
- Transcription of the treaty (in French, IEG Mainz)
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Aachen". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.