St. Mary's church, Towyn
Towyn shown within Conwy
|Population||7,864 (including Kinmel Bay) (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference||SH974794|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|UK Parliament||Clwyd West|
|Welsh Assembly||Clwyd West|
It is located between Rhyl, in Denbighshire, and Abergele in Conwy. According to the 2001 Census, together with neighbouring Kinmel Bay (to the east), it had a population 7,864, of which 10.7% could speak Welsh. Only a third of the population were born in Wales.
A combination of gale-force winds, a high tide and rough seas caused Towyn's flood defences to be breached at about 11.00am on 26 February 1990. 4 square miles (10 km2) of land was flooded, affecting 2,800 properties and causing areas of the resort to be evacuated. The coastal defences have since been reconstructed and significantly enhanced.
Towyn has a notable church. St. Mary's Church was designed by the renowned architect George Edmund Street, and was consecrated on 17 June 1873. It is known for the distinctive tiling on the roof. The same architect also designed the building which now houses the youth club in nearby Abergele.
The principal economic activity in Towyn is tourism, concentrated in the summer season. A mix of static caravans and touring caravan pitches provides accommodation.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Towyn.|