|Serving temperature||Hot or cold|
|Cookbook: Tomato soup Media: Tomato soup|
Tomato soup is a soup made with tomatoes as the primary ingredient. It may be served hot or cold in a bowl, and may be made in a variety of ways. It may be smooth in texture, and there are also recipes which include chunks (or small pieces) of tomato, cream and chicken/vegetable stock. Popular toppings for tomato soup include sour cream or croutons. Tomato soup is one of the top comfort foods in Poland and the United States. It can be made fresh by blanching tomatoes, removing the skins, then blending into a puree.
Commercially prepared tomato is available in a variety of forms, including canned, condensed and in dehydrated powder form. "Tomato" ranks among the top three flavors of soup produced by the Campbell Soup Company.
Gazpacho is a tomato soup of Spanish origin, served cold. It originates in the region of Andalucía in southern Spain. Gazpacho is widely consumed in Spanish cuisine, as well as in neighboring Portugal, where it is known as gaspacho. Gazpacho is mostly consumed during the summer months, due to its refreshing qualities and cold serving temperature. Many variations of gazpacho exist.
Tomato soup is often paired with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Herbig, Paul A. (1998). Handbook of Cross-Cultural Marketing. Binghamton, NY: International Business Press. p. 45. ISBN 978-0789001542.
Irish and Italians prefer creamy tomato soup, Germans want rice, and Columbians want spice.
- "Intense Homemade Tomato Soup - Fork me Noodle". Fork me Noodle. 24 September 2015. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Always home-made, tomato soup is one of the first things a Polish cook learns to prepare." [in:] Marc E. Heine. Poland. 1987; "tradycyjny obiad kuchni polskiej, składający się z zupy pomidorowej z makaronem, kotleta schabowego, ziemniaków, mizeri z ogórków i kompotu." [in:] Etnografia polska. PAN. t. 48-49, 2004
- About.com. "Top 25 Comfort Foods and Recipes". Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "Tomato History - the History of Tomatoes as Food". Homecooking.about.com. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Our Company". CSC Brands. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- Grilled Cheese: 50 Recipes to Make You Melt - Marlena Spieler. p. 103.
- Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking - Cybele Pascal. p. 34.
- Tonucci, Linda H. (et al.) (March 1995). "Carotenoid Content of Thermally Processed Tomato-Based Food Products". 43 (3). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. pp. 579–586. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Bittman, Mark (2007). "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food". pp. 113–114. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tomato soup.|
- Several recipes for tomato soup
- Heart-healthy tomato soup recipe
- Rassam - Indian tomato Soup from Andhra Pradesh