Provincia de Tocopilla
Location in the Antofagasta Region
Location in Chile
|Coordinates: 21°55′S 69°48′W / 21.917°S 69.800°WCoordinates: 21°55′S 69°48′W / 21.917°S 69.800°W|
|• Governor||Giovanna Rossi Bizjak|
|• Total||16,236.0 km2 (6,268.8 sq mi)|
|Population (2012 Census)|
|• Density||1.8/km2 (4.6/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 + 55|
|Website||Governorate of Tocopilla|
Geography and demography
According to the 2012 census by the National Statistics Institute (INE), the province spans an area of 16,236.0 km2 (6,269 sq mi) and had a population of 28,840 inhabitants, giving it a population density of 1.9/km2 (5/sq mi). Between the 1992 and 2002 censuses, the population fell by 18.4% (7,129 persons).
As a province, Tocopilla is a second-level administrative division of Chile, which is further divided into two communes (comunas). The province is administered by a presidentially appointed governor. Giovanna Rossi Bizjak was appointed by president Sebastián Piñera.
- "Gobierno de Chile: Gobernadores". Government of Chile (in Spanish). Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Territorial division of Chile" (PDF) (in Spanish). National Statistics Institute. 2007. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- (Spanish) Governorate of Tocopilla