Thomas de Ros, 8th Baron de Ros
|Thomas de Ros, 8th Baron de Ros|
Thomas de Ros, 9th Baron de Ros
Richard de Ros
Margaret de Ros, Baroness Botreaux
|Father||William de Ros, 6th Baron de Ros|
26 September 1406|
|Died||18 August 1430 (aged 23)|
Thomas de Ros or Roos, 8th Baron de Ros of Helmsley (26 September 1406 – 18 August 1430) was an English peer.
Thomas de Ros, born 26 September 1406, was the second son of William de Ros, 6th Baron de Ros, and Margaret Fitzalan (d. 3 July 1438), the daughter of John FitzAlan, 1st Baron Arundel, by Eleanor Maltravers (c.1345 – 12 January 1405), younger daughter and coheir of Sir John Maltravers (d. 22 January 1349).
Thomas de Ros was a younger brother of John de Ros, 7th Baron de Ros, who died childless at the Battle of Beaugé on 22 March 1421. Thomas inherited his rank and privileges, and followed the example of his brother in participating in the Hundred Years' War. He fought in the Battle of Verneuil under the command of John, Duke of Bedford. He was honored for his efforts, knighted by Henry VI of England on 19 May 1426. Henry was nephew of the Duke. Thomas resumed service under the Duke in 1427. He was summoned to the Parliament of England in 1429. In 1430 he fell into the Seine during a minor skirmish and was drowned.
Marriage and issue
Thomas de Ros married Eleanor Beauchamp, daughter of Richard de Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick, and his first wife, Elizabeth Berkeley, by whom he had two sons and a daughter:
- Thomas de Ros, 9th Baron de Ros (9 September 1427 – 17 May 1464).
- Richard de Ros, esquire, who married, before 1468, Jane or Joan Knyvet, daughter of Sir John Knyvet.
- Margaret de Ros, who married firstly William de Botreaux, 3rd Baron Botreaux, and secondly Thomas Burgh, 1st Baron Burgh of Gainsborough.
After the death of Thomas de Ros, his widow, Eleanor, married secondly, Edmund Beaufort, 2nd Duke of Somerset, and thirdly, Walter Rokesley, esquire.
- ↑ Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p.347
- ↑ Cokayne 1949, pp. 102–3; Richardson I 2011, pp. 29–30; Richardson III 2011, pp. 455–7.
- ↑ Cokayne 1949, pp. 104–5; Richardson III 2011, pp. 457–9.
- ↑ Cokayne 1949, pp. 104–5; Richardson III 2011, p. 457.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1949). The Complete Peerage, edited by Geoffrey H. White. XI. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham. I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966373
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham. III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X
|Ancestors of Thomas de Ros, 8th Baron de Ros|
|Peerage of England|
John de Ros
|Baron de Ros
| Succeeded by|
Thomas de Ros