Thomas Rivera Schatz
|Thomas Rivera Schatz|
25th Senate of Puerto Rico
Assumed office |
January 2, 2013
|14th President of the Senate of Puerto Rico|
24th Senate of Puerto Rico
January 2, 2009 – January 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Kenneth McClintock|
|Succeeded by||Eduardo Bhatia|
New Progressive Party of Puerto Rico
2002 – August 17, 2007
New Progressive Party of Puerto Rico
2000 – August 17, 2007
Department of Justice of Puerto Rico
June 10, 1966|
New York City, New York, USA
|Political party||PNP, Republican Party|
|Alma mater||Interamerican University of Puerto Rico (B.Sc. in Political Sciences; J.D.)|
Thomas "Tommy" Rivera Schatz (born June 10, 1966) is a Puerto Rican politician, legal advisor, attorney, and former prosecutor who recently completed his term as the fourteenth President of the Senate of Puerto Rico. He is affiliated with New Progressive Party of Puerto Rico and the United States Republican Party.
Early life and studies
Rivera Schatz was born on June 10, 1966 in the Bronx Borough of New York City. He is the son of José A. “Nía” Rivera, a past mayor of Trujillo Alto, and Christina Schatz. He attended the Interamerican University Law School, where he graduated in 1992. While in college, he worked full-time at the City of San Juan Public Works Department. A year later, he passed the bar exam required to practice law in Puerto Rico.
Rivera Schatz started his legal career as a legal advisor in the Senate and House of Representatives of Puerto Rico. In 1996, Governor Pedro Rosselló appointed him as a prosecutor at the Department of Justice. After finishing his service as a prosecutor, he returned to private practice, tending both criminal and civil cases.
Electoral Commissioner and Secretary General: 2000-2007
In 2000, Rivera Schatz was named Electoral Commissioner for the pro-statehood New Progressive Party (PNP). During this time, Rivera Schatz supported President of the PNP, Carlos Pesquera. On June 20, 2002, Schatz was detained, along with Pesquera, after an incident in the office of Women Affairs. Pesquera attempted to enter the offices by force to make a statement by putting the flag of the United States in the government office, after it was removed. As a result, a riot ensued.
Two years later, Party President Pedro Rosselló named Rivera Schatz as Secretary General of the PNP in addition to his current position as Electoral Commissioner. He served both positions simultaneously until August 1, 2007, when he decided to run for Senator.
Rivera Schatz ran for Senator at the PNP primaries where he won a slot in the ballot, receiving the second-most votes. In the 2008 general elections, Rivera Schatz was elected Senator. His fellow Senators then appointed him to be the 14th President of Puerto Rico’s Senate. As such, he selected the following persons for his team:
- Senator Margarita Nolasco as Senate President Pro tempore
- Senator Larry Seilhamer as Majority Leader
- Senator Melinda Romero as Majority Whip
- Roberto "Junior" Maldonado as Chief Administrative Officer of the Senate.
- Senate Secretary Manuel A. Torres was nominated by Rivera Schatz and reelected to a second term, becoming the first Senate secretary to serve under two different Senate Presidents
- Incumbent Superintendent of the Capitol, Eliezer Velázquez, was nominated by Rivera Schatz and ratified by House Speaker Jennifer González for a second term, a first for a Superintendent.
Rivera Schatz was sworn into his post on January 12, 2009.
Thomas Rivera Schatz re validated as majority Senator in the 2016 election with 10.33% of the "accumulation" votes, placing him in second place after independent candidate Dr. José Vargas Vidot and followed by Juan Dalmau (PIP). Being the elected senator with the most votes of the winning party (PNP), Thomas Rivera Schatz will be the President of the Senate of Puerto Rico again starting January 2017.
Thomas Rivera Schatz got married on July 16, 1994. Three years later, he had a daughter with Dalcia Lebrón Nieves.
- Hon. Thomas Rivera Schatz on SenadoPR
- Citados los líderes del PNP on Puerto Rico Herald; from Associated Press
- Encuentran causa contra Pesquera y tres novoprogresistas por motín on Puerto Rico Herald (June 29, 2002)
- Rivera Schatz "quema la fiebre" en Pennsylvania on El Nuevo Día; Rosario, Frances (October 2, 2010)
- Detras del político on El Vocero; Méndez, Milly (February 11, 2011)