The Wing or the Thigh
|The Wing or the Thigh|
|Directed by||Claude Zidi|
|Produced by||Christian Fechner|
Louis de Funès|
|Distributed by||Films Christian Fechner|
|27 October 1976|
|Box office||$43.8 million|
Charles Duchemin (Louis de Funès) is the editor of an internationally known restaurant guide. After being appointed to the Académie française, Duchemin decides to retire as a restaurant critic and trains his son Gérard (Coluche) to continue the family business. However, Gérard Duchemin is more interested in his true passion—the circus—than high cuisine. Soon, however, Charles' plans to retire are complicated by the arrival of Jacques Tricatel (Julien Guiomar), the owner of a company of mass-produced food. Fearing for the future of high cuisine, Charles and his son strive to ruin Tricatel's company in any way they can. This movie is an allegory of the antagonism between USA culture and French culture as it was seen by French people in the 70s.
The film received a mixed critical reception.
The film received a Goldene Leinwand (Golden Screen) in Germany in 1978.
- The Duchemin Guide is likely a reference to the real life Michelin Guide.
- Jacques Tricatel is likely a reference to Jacques Borel.
- This is the first movie of Louis de Funès after his double heart attack of 1975, that kept him from playing in Gérard Oury's Le Crocodile, a film that ended up never being made.
- The Wing or the Thigh at the Internet Movie Database
- The Wing or the Thigh at the TCM Movie Database
- The Wing or the Thigh at AllMovie
- L'aile ou la cuisse at Rotten Tomatoes
- L'Aile ou la cuisse at www.unifrance.org