The Singing Bee (Philippine game show)
|The Singing Bee|
Phil Gurin |
|Directed by||Bobet Vidanes|
Cesar Montano |
The Honeybees |
The Bandble Bee led by Mel Villena
The Singing Bee theme song (English version) |
The Singing Bee theme song (Filipino version)
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of seasons||7|
Season 1: |
30-45 minutes (Weekdays)
1 hour (Weekends)
1 hour (Saturdays)
1 hour (Saturdays and Weekdays)
Juma Entertainment |
The Gurin Company
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
Season 1–5: |
April 21, 2008 – February 6, 2010
November 16, 2013 – February 6, 2015
|Related shows||The Singing Bee (U.S. game show)|
The Philippine version of The Singing Bee premiered April 21, 2008 on ABS-CBN. A combinination of karaoke singing and a spelling bee-style competition, this show features contestants trying to remember the lyrics to popular songs.
In each episode, six contestants will be selected from the audience to play a series of games that test their knowledge of song lyrics. If a contestant makes an error, he or she will forfeit her chance to get into the "musical chairs". If a contestant is not in a musical chair when the round is over, he or she is eliminated. The grand prize is P1,000,000. It is currently hosted by Amy Perez and Roderick Paulate for season six and seven. It was previously hosted by Cesar Montano for five seasons. The house band, Bandble Bee, is led by Mel Villena, with several house singers called The Songbees. Dancing to the band are the house dancers, The Honeybees.
The Singing Bee was premiered on April 21, 2008.
On the August 22 episode, the show was supposed to end their first season but it was announced that the show was given an extended run due to insistent public demand. The show's first season finale was aired September 5, 2008, and was replaced by I Love Betty La Fea. But after the end of season one finale, it was revealed in a teaser wherein the bee singing "The Singing Bee" theme song which means The Singing Bee will be returning soon. Recently, another teaser pertaining to its return was aired. The second season was a 1-hour show that aired every weekend starting October 11, 2008.
On December 28, 2008, the show started the BeeKada Edition wherein 5 groups consisting of 3 members are the contestants. The BeeDeoke Round was removed from the game format. The prizes were increased as well including the Jackpot prize on the Final Countdown which is now worth two million pesos (P2,000,000). On April 18 and 19, 2009, The Singing Bee celebrated their 1st Year Anniversary and it also marked the end of season two. It followed the third season starting April 25, 2009.
On its season three, they replaced the segment Jumblebee round with a new segment called Pics Bee With You Round.
On September 2009, the The Singing Bee season four finale was aired. It was announced on this episode that season five will start on October 3, 2009 with their new schedule every Saturday nights at 7:30pm to 8:30pm.
On its fifth season, they brought back the segment Jumblebee round to replace the Pics Bee With You Round based on viewers' requests.
After three years, The Singing Bee marked its comeback with the sixth season premiered on November 16, 2013. It aired Saturday afternoons at 3:30pm until February 22, 2014. In February 24, 2014, the show moved to weekday mornings at 11:00am to 11:45am, replacing Minute to Win It. The new format changes include a Daily Champion from Monday to Thursday, with all four champions returning on Friday to compete for the P1,000,000 Final Countdown. On July 16, 2014, the show changed its timeslot to 10:45am due to Typhoon Glenda. The season six ended on August 29, 2014, as the show temporarily ceased off to give way for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
In the start of season seven, the show returned on September 16, 2014 with their one-hour schedule every 10:30am to 11:30am. It featured a new segment round called 2 Beecome 1. On its first anniversary on November 14, 2014, hosts KD and Amay became players with Billy Crawford as the special guest host. The season seven ended on February 6, 2015, with the finale episode featuring returning champions Sheryl Cruz, Frenchie Dy and Bodie Cruz as players, and FlordeLiza star Jolina Magdangal as the 8-time defending champion. The show was put on hiatus and never returned due to Roderick Paulate's decision to run for councilor of Quezon City and leave the program.
At the start of the show, the band plays a song and the host "randomly" gives audience members a chance to sing part of the song. The players are selected through a draw conducted by a private auditing firm. Five contestants will be chosen to compete in various rounds until the day's winner and defending champion are left standing in The Final Countdown.
To Bee Continued
One of the hosts would provide the year the song was released, the performer, and the title of the song. A portion of the song is performed, and then the contestant has to attempt to sing the next line of the song. If correct, they will claim a seat and advance to the next round, and a new song is introduced, which the next contestant in line must attempt; if not, they have to step back, and the next person in line tries the same song. A song is thrown out if none of the remaining contestants get the line correct. The first four contestants who claim a seat advance to the next round.
The three remaining contestants try to sing a song in a fill-in-the-blank format and correctly answer 9 blanks (three blanks for each contestant). Each correct word is worth two points accumulated for the final round. After the To Bee Continued round, the contestant who accumulated the most points will get to play in the new round called 2 Beecome 1.
If the champion concede their title, the first 2 high-scorers will proceed to the 2 Beecome 1 round. But it still retain its mechanics.
The segment first appeared in October 2008 but was discontinued after the Beekada Edition started. In Season 6, the segment returned and merged with Singing With The Enemy.
2 Beecome 1
2 Beecome 1 was introduced in season 7. The remaining one player and the defending champion will have a face-off in this round. To determine who is going first, a toss-up is started. They are given clues about "anything and everything that is related to music." If a contestant give the correct singer or instrument, he/she is first. They're given five sets of songs, each set includes two song titles. This time, they will choose a song title. They are given the year, the singer and the song title they chose. If he/she is correct, he/she will have a point. Whoever has the most points wins and proceed to The Final Countdown.
If the champion give up their title as defending champion, the two remaining contestants will have a face-off. But the rules are still the same.
The Final Countdown
The Champion will face a final/jackpot round to win the pot money. The hosts introduce 7 categories, each one has one song. He or she will choose a category.He/she is given the year, the artist and the title from the category he/she chose. If he/she give the correct line, he/she have a point. If he/she have 3 points, he/she wins the pot money (the pot money must begin at P200,000 if the winner the day before wins yesterday's pot money). If he/she is wrong, he/she is crossed out. If he/she have 2 crosses, the game is automatically over and they will win P20,000 from being a winner of 2 Beecome 1. If he/she did not win the pot money, the hosts will add P20,000 for the next day (e.g. If the pot money is P340,000, they will add P20,000 and the pot money for the next day is P360,000). It will increase and increase until he/she wins the pot money. If the champion wins the pot money, it will begin again at P200,000 for the next day. From January 27, 2015 to February 6, 2015, when the season 7 ends, the pot money adds to P50,000 instead of P20,000 (e.g. If the pot money is P450,000, they will add P50,000 and the pot money for the next day is P500,000).
Previously, the winner of the main game faces off against the reigning champion. To determine who goes first, a toss-up is started. The host gives a name of an artist. The first player to buzz in first with the correct title of any of the said artist's songs will go first. He/she is given a song, the year, and the artist. Then he/she will need to sing the correct lyrics just like the format in the To Bee Continued round. If he/she is correct, they win P30,000. If not, the opposing player will need to sing the correct lyrics of the same song to win the cash. If any player sings the correct lyrics, they will have the right to start the next song. If neither gets the right lyric, a toss-up is played again to determine who will start the next song. Seven songs are played. Whoever gets the most money becomes champion, however, if a player can correctly guess the lyrics from 4 songs, they will automatically win the jackpot prize. In the event of a tie, the champion always wins. It was revised due to BeeKada Edition select 2 of the three members of the group.
While the band is performing, words of a next line are shown scrambled on a screen. The contestant is required to sing the line in its correct order. Each correct line is worth two points that are accumulated for the final round.
During season one, four contestants were divided into two head-to-head duos and the winners of the duos go on to the Chorus Showdown Round. During season two, the four contestants solely completed for the next round's three spots.
To Bee Corrected
The host would provide the year the song was released, the performer, and the title of the song. A portion of the song is performed and wrong line is sung at the end, and then the contestant has to attempt to correct the wrong line of the song. If correct, they advance to the next round, and a new song is introduced, which the next contestant in line must attempt; if not, they have to step back, and the next person in line tries the same song. A song is thrown out if none of the remaining contestants get the line correct. The first four people who get a song line correct move on to the second round.
Pics Bee With You
Contestants are shown pictures as clues use pictogram to the line they are supposed to sing.
Singing with the Enemy
Only one song is sung during the whole round and all the contestants take turns in singing parts the song continuously.A correct lyrics is equal to one point and the song continues to the next contestant.If a contestant is wrong they lose the chance to gain a point.The player with the least points in the end of the round is eliminated and the 2 remaining contestants move on to the Beedeoke round. However, on BeeKada Edition to eliminate 2 groups (1 group will eliminated if in case of vacancy of the defending champion) then proceed to the Final Countdown.
This follows a similar format to the first round, but instead of singing a line, the contestant is required to sing the entire chorus without mistakes from the song performed. If both are correct or incorrect (sometimes after two rounds), then they go to a tiebreaker, where they are given the year and the name of the performer and the first person to buzz in will be given the option of playing that round or passing it to the other player. If the singer is correct, he/she win. Otherwise the other contestant wins.
The winner moves on to the "Final Countdown".
Since the show's inception, house singers provide the main vocals of the songs throughout the show. By the end of season two, the main house singers were referred to as the "Songbees". As of season six, none of the original Songbees remain. Five finalists from season one of The Voice of the Philippines are the current Songbees. As of January 4, 2014 episode, another The Voice of the Philippines finalist, Stan Perfecto, joined the Songbees.
- Jessica Reynoso (Team apl)
- Penelope Matanguihan (Team apl)
- Maki Ricafort (Team Sarah)
- Stan Perfecto (Team apl)
- Dan Billano (Team Bamboo)
- Paolo Onesa (Team Bamboo)
- Janice Javier (Team apl)
- Apple Chiu (from Philippine Idol)
- Frenchie Dy (Champion of Star in a Million Season 2 & also she's Celebrity Player in Season 6 with KZ Tandingan)
- Michael Cruz (from Star in a Million)
- Led Sobrepeña III
- MC Castro (from Saia band, formerly known as Metafour)
- OJ Mariano (from Star in a Million Season 2)
- Ivy Joy Maniquiz (from Star in a Million Season 2)
- Sheng Belmonte (from Pinoy Dream Academy Season 2)
- Sheryl Kao
- Jason Torreda
- Ken Dingle (from Philippine Idol)
- Thirdy Casas (from Freshmen)
- Arms Cruz (from Philippine Idol)+
- Hannah Pesy+
- Isabella Fabregas (Team Bamboo)
- Yuki Ito (Team Sarah)
+ - Sub-singers
- Chad Peralta (from Pinoy Dream Academy)
- Gary Valenciano
- Pepe Smith
- Rico J. Puno
- Sheryn Regis
- Rachel Alejandro
- Aiza Seguerra
- Andrew E.
- Sarah Geronimo (October 11, 2008)
- Sam Milby (October 12, 2008)
- Sheryn Regis (November 23, 2008)
- Arnel Pineda (January 4, 2009)
- Rachelle Ann Go (January 11, 2009)
- Gary Valenciano (February 8, 2009)
- Mark Bautista (February 22, 2009)
- Guji Lorenzana & Janelle Jamer (February 28 & March 1, 2009)
- Manilyn Reynes, Rachel Alejandro & Aiza Seguerra (April 19, 2009)
- Sheryn Regis (May 2, 2009)
- Sheryn Regis & Jed Madela (May 3, 2009)
- Nikki Gil (May 16 & 17, 2009)
- Zsa Zsa Padilla (June 27, 2009)
- Billy Crawford (June 28, 2009)
- Erik Santos (July 26, 2009)
- APO Hiking Society (September 19, 2009)
- Christian Bautista (September 26, 2009)
Some episodes of the show have been considered as "Special Episodes" having different themes and contestants based on the category given.
- Filipino Songs
- Movie Themes (July 21, 2008)
- Little Big Star and Little Big Superstar contestants (July 24, 2008) - Rhap Salazar as Defending Champion
- Radio Disc Jockeys (July 25, 2008) - Rnold Rey as Challenger
- Pageant Queens (July 26, 2008)
- Special Week-Long Birthday Celebration of Buboy (July 28 - August 1, 2008)
- Comedians (July 29, 2008)
- Pinoy Rock (August 1, 2008)
- Retro (August 4, 2008)
- Girl Power
- Boys Will Be Boys
- Duets (August 20, 2008)
- The Singing Bayan (August 25, 2008)
- Welcome to the Jungle (August 29, 2008)
- Bee Can Dance (September 1, 2008)
- Hapunan (September 2, 2008)
- Novelty (September 3, 2008)
- Name Game (September 4, 2008)
- Pinoy Dream Academy (season 2) Top 6 Scholars (September 5, 2008)
- It's The BEE World After All (October 26, 2008)
- Bee Afraid, Bee Very Afraid (November 1, 2008)
- Makulay ang Beehive (November 22, 2008)
- Araw, Bee-tuin, Buwan (November 29, 2008)
- A Bee-ry Merry Christmas (December 21, 2008)
- 'Di lang pang-Artista, pang-BEErit pa (December 28, 2008)
- BEE to the 80's (January 24, 2009)
- Pasko ng Pagka-BEE (April 12, 2009)
- BEES Like It Hot (April 18, 2009)
- Happy 1st Anni-BEE (April 19, 2009)
- Green BEES Movement (May 2, 2009)
- Ha-BEE Mother's Day (May 10, 2009)
- Malayang BEE Yan (June 13, 2009)
- Bee to School (June 14, 2009)
- Haligi ng Kantahan (June 21, 2009)
- Kasal, Kasali, Kantahan (June 27, 2009)
- Just BEE it (July 4, 2009) - Michael Jackson Tribute episode
- Happy Birthday, Buboy! (August 1 & 2, 2009)
- We'll Bee Missing You! (August 15, 2009) - Cory Aquino Tribute episode
- BEE-bong Boy Band (August 29, 2009)
- Crazy for BEE (August 30, 2009) - Madonna Episode
- BEELIB sa New Wave (September 5, 2009)
- TWO BEECOME ONE (September 12, 2009)
- BEEyaheng Langit (September 20, 2009)
- Royal BEE (September 26, 2009)
- GaBEE ng Lagim (October 31, 2009)
- BEE Wish You a Merry Christmas (December 19, 2009)
- Let's BEEgin 2010 (January 2, 2010)
- Bagong Taon, Bagong Beehive (January 9, 2010)
- Beauty and the BEES (January 16, 2010)
- BeeFF (January 23, 2010)
- Boses ng Pinoy (January 30, 2010)
- 'Til We Bee Again (February 6, 2010)
- Maligayang Pasko! (December 21, 2013)
- Kung Hei Fat Choy (February 1, 2014)
- A BEElion Thanks (February 6, 2015)
List of winners
Aiza Seguerra, on July 8, 2008, became a champion of The Singing Bee twice, but after her second win of the PHP1,000,000 jackpot, she gave up her throne to give chance for others. The same thing happened to Rachel Alejandro, where she gave up her throne as defending champion. She defeated her co-contestant singer Bituin Escalante."
|Show Date||Winner||Total Prize||Players||Season|
|May 19, 2008||Stephen Norries "Steno" Padilla||P1,040,000||Text Player||1|
|July 2, 2008||Rachel Alejandro||P1,340,000||Celebrity Player||1|
|July 8 & 9, 2008||Aiza Seguerra||P2,080,000||Celebrity Player||1|
|October 18, 2008||Manilyn Reynes||P1,030,000||Celebrity Player||2|
|January 17, 2009||Jestoni Alarcon, Janus del Prado, & Jason Abalos (Team Pieta)||P2,110,000||Celebrity Player||2|
|October 10, 2009||Team X-Mhin||P2,110,000||Celebrity Player||5|
|December 7, 2013||Sheryl Cruz||P1,000,000||Celebrity Player||6|
|January 11, 2014||KZ Tandingan||P1,000,000||Celebrity Player||6|
|July 1, 2014||Bodie Cruz||P1,040,000||Celebrity Player||6|
|August 18, 2014||Frenchie Dy||P1,000,000||Celebrity Player||6|
|January 27, 2015||Jolina Magdangal||P1,090,000||Celebrity Player||7|
The Singing Bee is consistently topping TV ratings on its timeslot. In the year ender NUTAM TV ratings results of AGB Nielsen Philippines last 2008, it ranked 6th in the Top Weekday Primetime Programs with 33.2%, and 5th in the Top Weekend Primetime Programs with 26.4%. In Kantar Media Philippines, it hit an all-time high rating of 32.7% on July 26, 2009.
- The Signing Bee: Feature Article Program via abs-cbn.com 01-02-2009
- Thou shalt not forget the lyrics - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos
- abs-cbnnews.com, Seguerra reigns supreme on 'The Singing Bee'
- abs-cbnnews.com, Aiza rakes in P2.08M at 'Singing Bee'
- AGB Nielsen recaps 2008's NUTAM top-rating programs
- TNS National TV Ratings (July 24-27)