The July 27, 2005 front page of
|Owner(s)||The McClatchy Company|
|Publisher||George Le Masurier|
111 Bethel St., N.E.|
Olympia, WA 98506
The Olympian started in 1860 as The Washington Standard, a weekly paper. Daily papers did not start until February 1889. The Olympian started as a daily to lead the crusade to make Olympia the capital of Washington State. The Olympian was running strong when in 1906 it was purchased by S.A. Perkins.
Perkins founded the Daily Recorder in 1891, which served as one of the news outlets in Olympia, but after a couple of years running both papers Perkins consolidated the two into The Daily Olympian in 1927. The Perkins family sold The Daily Olympian to Federated Publications in 1967, and on July 1, 1971, Gannett Corporation acquired The Daily Olympian from Federated Publication, a subsidiary of Gannett Co. In its 130 years, The Olympian has had three name changes and occupied four buildings. Its current offices are on Bethel Street in Olympia.
In February, 1982, the paper's name was shortened from The Daily Olympian to The Olympian. In September, 2005, Gannett sold The Olympian to Knight Ridder, who then sold it in 2006 to the current owners, The McClatchy Company. In 2009, much of The Olympian's operations were merged with The News Tribune, a larger McClatchy newspaper in nearby Tacoma.
- "The McClatchy Company Newspapers: The Olympian". The McClatchy Company. Retrieved 8 January 2007.