The News Tribune
|Owner(s)||The McClatchy Company|
|Publisher||David A. Zeeck|
1950 South State Street|
Tacoma, Washington 98405
It can trace its origins back to the founding of the weekly Tacoma Ledger by R.F. Radebaugh in 1880. The next year, H.C. Patrick founded The News, another weekly. Both papers became dailies in 1883. In 1898, Radebaugh and Patrick sold their papers to S.A. Perkins. Radebaugh re-entered the market in 1907 with the debut of the Tacoma Tribune. He exited five years later with the sale of the Tribune to Frank S. and Elbert H. Baker. The Bakers then purchased The News and the Tacoma Ledger in 1918, and all three papers were combined into the Tacoma News Tribune and Ledger.
In 1948, the paper began operating the radio stations KTNT-AM and KTNT-FM, and began operating a television station with the same call letters in 1953. In 1972, KTNT-FM's call letters were changed to KNBQ, which became KBSG in 1988, and KIRO-FM in 2008. Two years later, the television station was sold and its call letters changed to KSTW.
In 1979, the newspaper adopted the name Tacoma News Tribune. Its parent bought the Pierce County Herald in 1983. In 1986, the Tribune Publishing Company's newspaper assets were bought by McClatchy Newspapers.
The News Tribune published as The Morning News Tribune from April 6, 1987, to October 4, 1993, when "Morning" was dropped from its name.
- "Audit Bureau of Circulations FAS-FAX Report - 6/13/2012". Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "The McClatchy Company Newspapers: The News Tribune". The McClatchy Company. Retrieved 2006-11-21.