The Good Daughter
|The Good Daughter|
|Created by||GMA Entertainment TV Group|
|Developed by||Aloy Adlawan|
Anna Nadela |
|Directed by||Michael Tuviera|
|Creative director(s)||Jun Lana|
|Theme music composer||Sherwin Castillo|
"Ba't 'Di Ko Ba Nasabi?"|
sung by Krizza Neri
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, Tagalog, English|
|No. of episodes||78 episodes|
|Executive producer(s)||Carol B. Galve|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i NTSC|
|Original release||February 13 – June 1, 2012|
Stairway to Heaven |
Saang Sulok ng Langit
The Good Daughter is a Filipino drama series created by Des Garbes - Severino, written by Aloy Adlawan, under the direction of Michael Tuviera and produced by GMA Network. It premiered on February 13, 2012 replacing Ikaw Lang ang Mamahalin on GMA Afternoon Prime and February 17, 2012 worldwide via GMA Pinoy TV. The series features Kylie Padilla in the title role, and Rocco Nacino as her leading man, with Raymond Bagatsing, Alicia Mayer, LJ Reyes and Max Collins.
The series follows the life and love story of Bea Guevarra, played by Kylie Padilla, a teenager who lived a princess-kind of life. But her perfect world shattered when her evil stepmother enters the pictures and usurp everything in her.
The series concluded on June 1, 2012 and replaced by Kasalanan Bang Ibigin Ka?. It ran for 16 weeks with 78 episodes all in all.
Tina (Glydel Mercado) is a poor provincial lass who works as a therapist in a resort where Rico Guevarra (Raymond Bagatsing) the carefree and charming heir of a coffee business, checks in. Heartbroken after his girlfriend Sharon (Alicia Mayer) left him for another man, Rico seduces Tina and impregnates her, leading to an unwanted marriage. However, Tina proves her worth as Rico's wife through their daughter Bea, and soon Rico finds himself falling in love with her, for real. At the same time, Sharon returns from the U.S. as a bankrupted widow with two children, her eldest Frances, and her only son, Darwin. The two ex-lovers meet again and Rico proposes to be their benefactor- which leads to a forbidden affair. Through this, Sharon and Rico's daughter, Julia, was born.
Bea (Kylie Padilla) grows up as a very beautiful charming girl who seemingly lives a perfect life- although unintentionally always putting her mother down, due to the fact that Tina lacks classy taste and is despised by the rich society. Rico also constantly spoils his daughter. He had difficulties, however, hiding the fact that he has another family whom he raises in secret: his mistress Sharon (Alicia Mayer), and her three children.
On the night of Bea's 18th birthday ball, Sharon arrives to reveal herself, wanting him to acknowledge the presence of his second family. Tina overhears this and storms out of the party. The wife and mistress had a fight in the parking lot, and Sharon's anger was fueled when Tina repeatedly calls her a "home- wrecker". At the party, however, Bea tries to make up with her mother, thanking her for everything and declaring her as the best "mom" in the world in front of her rich guests. At the same time, an explosion occurred at the building where her party is held.
Tina is critically injured and agonizes in pain at the parking lot. Sharon sees this as an opportunity to finally be Rico's legal wife, leading her to pull a huge block of concrete into the suffering Tina. Unfortunately, Julia witnesses all of this. A second explosion occurs and this time, it claims one life: Tina.
Tina's death makes a great impact to Bea, whose life went downhill due to her guilt, conscience and unspoken love for her mother. As Bea weeps for her mother’s demise, her father was then being pressured by Sharon to marry her or else she and her daughter will leave the country for good. Torn between his daughter’s expected disapproval and the possibility of building a new family with his mistress, Rico eventually gives in to Sharon’s demands. Shortly, Sharon and the now ten-year-old daughter Julia (Angelie Nicole Sanoy) steps into the picture and introduce themselves as her father’s (Raymond Bagatsing) other family. To make it more complicated, she also gains an evil stepsister Frances (LJ Reyes). She finds an unexpected ally, however through her rebellious stepbrother Darwin (Rocco Nacino), whose just beliefs made him disowned by his own mother.
Bea mourns her father's new marriage and as Sharon assumes the role of Rico’s new wife, her true colors come out as she acts miserably towards Bea behind Rico’s back. Bea would always run away from home and visit her mother's grave, her only solace. However, her bestfriend Ziri, (Max Collins) would always advise her to return home or her place as the house princess would be taken away from her literally. Bea tries to rebuild her relationship with her new family and tries to accept them, but after a series of misfortunes due to her stepfamily's ruthlessness Bea leaves her own home. Helpless and alone, Bea travels to her grandmother’s province and tries to start a new life.
However, as Bea begins to find comfort in the arms of her Lola Lourdes (Luz Valdez), Tina's mother, she discovers that her father is gravely ill, her stepmother has started to take over all their wealth and mistreats Julia (which she says is only a part of her wicked schemes). More than that, she unravels the real reason why her mother died, prompting her to return home and reunite with her father.
From here, Bea who was once a soft-spoken and sweet young girl, transforms into a determined and tough woman, now willing to do everything in her power to protect her father and sister, as well as the wealth that is also rightfully hers. At the same time, she has to force herself not to fall in love with Darwin, her stepbrother who was also the interest of Ziri.
Cast of characters
- Kylie Padilla as Bea Guevarra- "The Good Daughter", being a spoiled little princess, Bea can get whatever she want from her father and lives a fairy- tale life. She is somewhat distant to her mother, because she is often bullied for having one from a poor background. Their relationship seemed to warm when she reaches maidenhood, but is destroyed upon Tina's untimely demise. When her father marries his mistress and brings home two more daughters she openly shows her disapproval and hostility, but tries her best to accept them. She gets her turning point when her stepmother began to treat her cruelly behind her father's back, ultimately transforming her from a sweet, modestly dressed girl into a brave young woman ready to do and let go of anything for the sake of her loved ones. She is initially hostile towards Darwin, but her hostility melted when she found herself falling in love with him. Everytime she feels down and dejected, Bea's only solace would be her visits to her mother's niche- often crying over her demise. In the finale set three years after Ziri's death, Bea finishes college and is living a happy life with Rico, Julia, Darwin and Chesca. Darwin later proposes to her during his daughter's birthday and at the same time, Bea's graduation party.
- Rocco Nacino as Darwin Reyes- "The Unexpected Ally", he harbors ill- feelings towards Bea after an encounter with her which left a scar in his forehead. He tries to sabotage Bea's birthday rehearsal by harassing her sensually, but he is ultimately discovered and ends up being unwillingly bailed by Rico from prison. He and Rico are enemies, especially when he tries to sneak up to see his little sister Julia whom he loved very much. He tries to mend his life by getting a job. Still, his mother deemed him useless and weak. Darwin meets Ziri and had a fling with her, but found out later that he starts to be infatuated with his stepsister. Eventually, Darwin's hatred for her turns into admiration and love after witnessing Bea's unconditional sacrifices for her family, and after discovering his mother's real motives in marrying Rico. Unfortunately, it was later revealed that Ziri is pregnant with his child- forcing him to end up whatever he and Bea had together. He marries Ziri, but after she dies, he starts his relationship with Bea anew. In the finale Darwin is already a successful man, and is Bea's fiance.
- Raymond Bagatsing as Rico Guevarra- "The Misled Father", he would do everything for Bea and Julia. A dominant husband towards his previous wife, he suddenly meets his match with the cunning Sharon. The latter seduced him while on a business trip, resulting to Julia. After his wife dies, he is forced to marry his mistress, or he might lose them for good. He soon falls under her thumb, destroying his relationship with his first daughter. He soon becomes a victim of Sharon's schemes, losing his mind and fortune. In the end he reclaims his wealth and starts a new life with the remaining characters in the series.
- Alicia Mayer as Sharon Reyes- "The Cunning Stepmother", a character who lived a fairy tale cliche. Heartless and cruel, Sharon disowned Darwin a very long time ago, and only sees her second husband and youngest daughter Julia as materials for her plans. However, she favours Frances and is willing to kill anyone who comes along their way. She orchestrates Tina's tragic death by pulling a block of concrete over her. She is behind the murder of Bea's grandmother, and Rico's worsening health condition. In the end, she shoots Frances by accident and loses both her legs and sanity but she is still in the hospital sitting on the wheelchair so Sharon can't move all alone.
- LJ Reyes as Frances Reyes- "The Devious Stepsister", she is the splitting image of her mother and is both power and money-hungry. Ambitious and vain, she hopes of finding a paternal figure in Rico, and her disappointments made her a monster towards her two sisters and stepfather. She is greatly jealous when Paul fell in-love with Bea, and made her stepsister's life miserably sore. She dies in the end at the hands of her own mother.
- Luz Valdez as Lourdes Atilano- "The Devoted Grandmother", she has modest old-school beliefs and is very conservative. She and Bea had a broken relationship in the past, but Tina's death made a great impact over her, and sees Bea as a reflection of her own daughter. She takes Bea under her wing after she runs away from home. She is killed by Sharon.
- Angeli Nicole Sanoy as Julia Guevarra- "The Timid Half- Sister", troubled and longing for a complete family, Julia unwillingly becomes her mother's instrument in hurting her half-sister and father. She tries to help Bea as long as she can, and holds the key to the real reason why Tina died.
- Max Collins as Ziri Claustro-Reyes- "The Agonizing Rival", Darwin's fling, Bea's bestfriend and a sisterly figure to her- seemingly an alter-ego of Frances. She will do anything for Bea- until she realized they harbor feelings for the same man. She dies of childbirth in the end, and asks Bea to care for her mother, her husband and their daughter- also named Ziri.
- Dion Ignacio as Paul Noche- "The Unlikely Suitor", Bea's fling and Frances' ever submissive boyfriend. He is the son of a rich landlord, and tries to woe Bea to break her heart in the end. He falls in love with her for real instead. He dies trying to protect Frances from her mother's bullet.
- Ervic Vijandre as Mario Escobar- "The Stepmother's Lover", a stereotype of a young and handsome lover for a cougar woman, Mario works as a bartender for Rico's coffee palace. However, he seduces Sharon and becomes her bed-warmer, body-guard and at the same time, her accomplice. In the middle of the series he unexpectedly falls under the charms and innocence of Bea and starts to lust over her.
- Maricel Morales as Chesca Claustro- Ziri's liberated mother and Bea's mother figure. Feisty and outspoken, she will do anything for Ziri whom she raised single-handedly. She casually talks about explicit things with her daughter which makes Ziri shudder, and tries to comfort Bea's burdens through drinking and partying. She opens up her mansion for Bea's family and acts as a guardian to her and Julia. She accepts Ziri's pregnancy wholeheartedly. In the finale she now lives with Bea's family and is somewhat in a relationship with her father.
- Kevin Santos as Arnold- Darwin's driver and best friend. He is a brother figure towards Darwin and shares the same apartment with him. He somewhat acts like a comic relief.
- Froilan Sales as Alex- Rico's college friend and confidante.
- Dionne de Guzman as Yaya Nania- maid in the Guevarra household.
- Glydel Mercado as Tina Atilano-Guevarra- Bea's loving and soft-spoken mother of impoverished background. The wife in an unwanted marriage, Tina proves herself through Bea's birth. She knows, however that Rico is still madly in-love with his ex-girlfriend, Sharon. Distant to Bea during the girl's childhood, their relationship warms up when Bea attains young womanhood. She tries to sew Bea a white birthday dress and buys her an expensive one when Bea rejects it. She tries to tell Bea how much she loves her on the night of her birthday celebration, but a horrible accident occurred. Together with a foul play, this results to her painful and very tragic death.
- Lito Legaspi as Miguel Guevarra
- Chinggoy Alonzo as Don Manuel
- Daniella Amable as young Bea
- Jerould Aceron as young Darwin
- Joni Macnab as young Frances
- Charito Alvear as Yaya Fe
- Alvin Aragon as Mervin
- Benedict Campos as Hans
Audience and critical reception
- The Good Daughter did well in ratings across the country. According to Nielsen Television Audience Measurement (Nielsen TAM), it received an average household rating of 14.6% points, while its competitor only got 11.5% points (February 13, pilot episode – March 16 data).