The Gadsden Times
The Gadsden Times, September 2, 2008
|Owner(s)||New Media Investment Group|
401 Locust Street|
Gadsden, Alabama 35902
The Times was owned by Halifax Media Group. Before that, the newspaper was a member of the New York Times Regional Media Group, a subsidiary of the New York Times Company, through the corporate entity of NYT Holdings, Inc., an Alabama corporation. The New York Times Company acquired the Times in 1985 from the Public Welfare Foundation, a charitable entity. The Times had been donated to that foundation by its owner Edward Marsh, along with other newspapers he owned, before his death in 1964.
In 2015, Halifax was acquired by New Media Investment Group.
The Times has received several awards over the years from area journalistic groups, such as the Alabama Press Association, the Alabama Sports Writers Association, and the Alabama Associated Press Managing Editors.
The Times website provides local news coverage, as well as local forum and lifestyle pages. In addition to its editorial offices in Gadsden, the Times maintains a state capital bureau in Montgomery.
- "The Gadsden Times". Gatehouse Media. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- Halifax Media purchases 16 newspapers
- "Resources". cjr.org. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- New York Times Company, Securities and Exchange Commission 2007 Form 10K, February 26, 2008, p. 104
- "Times Co. In Pact for 3 Dailies," The New York Times, January 15, 1985, p. D21
- PR Newswire, January 14, 1985
- New Media Announces Agreement to Acquire Halifax Media Group for $280.0 Million
- New York Times Company Business Units
- Alabama Press Association: 2008 Ratesheet
- "Alabama APME Contest Winners," Mobile Press-Register, May 4, 2008, p. B2
- "News Wins Awards," The Birmingham News, June 26, 2000, p. 1D
- "The News Wins Award for Child Abuse Series," The Birmingham News, May 18, 1997, p. 16A
- "Staff Listing". GadsdenTimes.com. Retrieved 3 February 2015.