- For the peace organisation, see Peace Action. For the Spandau Ballet song of this title, see Journeys to Glory. For the Scottish band, see The Freeze (Scottish band).
The Freeze, circa 1980
|Origin||Cape Cod, Massachusetts|
|Labels||Modern Method, Taang!, Lost And Found(DE), Doctor Strange, Schitzophrenic, Beer City, Gummopunx Records!,|
Zach Carmichael - Guitar
Molusk - Bass
Aaron Hjalmarson - Drums
Ron ("HeXe") Cormier
Rob 'Da Cradle" Rosenthal
The Freeze are a punk rock band from Cape Cod, Massachusetts formed by a group of teenagers in 1978. They released the first single, "I Hate Tourists" in 1980 and are best known for contributing the title track to the 1982 hardcore punk compilation This Is Boston, Not L.A.
The band is known for their dark lyrics, original punk rock melodies, and their longevity. A lot of their early lyrics deal with alienation, drug-use/abuse and paranoia (especially of the government and especially of the Reagan-Bush years). A constant theme or thread regarding apathetic observers or people willing to give up their freedoms for fear of losing their "security" is also apparent in their work.
The Freeze's first release was the "I Hate Tourists" / "Don't forget me Tommy" single, released in 1980. The Freeze's music was picked by Newbury Comics' in-house label, Modern Method Records, which released several of the Freeze's songs on the Boston hardhcore compilations "Unsafe at Any Speed" and This Is Boston, Not L.A. in 1982. The Freeze's title track for that album was used in a television commercial for Newbury Comics on local UHF music video station V66 with the song's penultimate word bleeped out.
The 1983 album Land of the Lost and 1985's "Rabid Reaction" followed before Modern Method folded, and the group was picked up by Tanng! Records for their 1991 album, Misery Loves Company. They continued to perform and record Their 1999 album, One False Move, featured cover fellow Cape Cod artist and author Edward Gorey.
- Land of the Lost 1983
- Rabid Reaction LP 1985
- Misery Loves Company LP 1991
- Five Way Fury LP 1992
- Double Dosed LP 1992
- Crawling Blind LP 1994
- Freakshow CD 1996
- One False Move LP 1998
- Crawling Blind LP 2013
Singles and EPs
- "I Hate Tourist's" 7" 1980
- Guilty Face Ep 7" EP 1982
- "PTP" 7" 1991
- "Bloodlights" 7" 1991
- "Welcome to Planet Earth" 7" 1999
- Blood Flows Home CD-EP 2011
- The Freeze and the Kilrays CD 1995
- A Deadly Duo 10" (w the Bollweevils) 1996
- A Wicked Good Time: Vol. 2 (compilation) 1981
- This Is Boston, Not L.A. (compilation) 1982
- "Unsafe at Any Speed" (compilation) 1983
- Life is a Joke vol. 3 (compilation) 1987
- Revenge of the Kamikaze Stegosaurus From Outer Space (compilation) 1988
- Boston Wolfpack 1999
- "The Freeze 11/2/96" 7" 1996
- Live at the Mill Hill Club in 1980 2007
- Guilty Face + 3 10" EP 1991
- Token Bones 1997
Band founder, songwriter, and vocalist Clif "Hanger" Croce is the only member that has been in every incarnation of the band which has seen many line-up changes in its past.
- Clif Croce Vocals
- D.B.- Guitar
- Zach Carmichael - Guitar
- Molusk - Bass
- Aaron Hjalmarson - Drums
- Johnny Baxter – Drums
- Rob (DeCradle) Rosenthal – Guitar
- Pat Leonard – Bass
- Pat Brady – Drums
- Paul Delano – Guitar
- Scott Moulaison – Drums, Vocals
- Steve Wood – Guitar
- Rick Andrews – Bass
- Marc Thalasitas – Guitar, Vocals
- Daniella Thalasitas – Bass
- Craig Adams – Bass
- Eric Short – Guitar
- Joe Koonz – Guitar and Vocals
- Ronald Cormier – Guitar
- Kevin Vicha ("Kev") – Drums
- Lou "Chip" Cataldo-Drums
- Walter Gustafson-Drums
- Chuck Stilphen – Guitar
- Zackory Carmichael – Bass
- Mark Leonard – Bass
- Chris Barone – Drums
- Anthony Pizzo – Guitar
- Patrick "Swedish" Souza - Drums
- Slade Anderson – Guitar
- John - Guitar
- Molusk - Bass Guitar
- Jason Stone - Drums
- Joshy Wastrel – Guitar, Vocals
- Gizz Lazlo - Drums, Vocals
- David Diamond
- Arvin Mani - Bass
- Frank Anderson - Drums
- Kevin Bonelli - Bass, Guitar
- Jordan Balmiz - Avid Fan
- Anthony Barbaria - Drums
- Hanger, Clif (2005). "I Hate Tourists, Tourists SUCK, It's only their daughters I wanna fuck" in "I Hate Tourists"[Record Liner Notes]. Hamilton: Schizophrenic Records.
- Blush, Steven (2001). ""The Kids Will Have Their Say"". In George Petros. American Hardcore: A Tribal History. New York: Feral House. pp. 168–169. ISBN 0-922915-71-7.
- The official website of the Freeze on Myspace. myspace.com.
- The official website of Clif Hanger on Myspace. myspace.com.
- Scanner zine interview with Clif Hanger from August 2005. scannerzine.com.
- Schizophrenic records re-issued "I Hate Tourists" 7", the Guilty Face EP (with bonus tracks), and release the LP Live from Cape Cod 1980. schizophrenicrex.com.
- "Drink, Fight, and Fuck!" – A interview with the Freeze which will be part of the liner notes for the Live from Cape Cod 1980 LP. bostonpunk.org.