The Bushido Blade
|The Bushido Blade|
|Directed by||Tom Kotani|
Arthur Rankin, Jr.
|Written by||William Overgard|
|Music by||Maury Laws|
Anne V. Coates (sup)
|Language||English / Japanese|
The basic plot concept bears a strong similarity to the earlier movie Red Sun (1971), also featuring Toshiro Mifune.
Bushido Blade is a fictional sideline to the true events surrounding the treaty Commodore Matthew Perry signed with the Shogun of feudal Japan. The samurai sword entrusted to Commodore Perry for President Franklin Pierce of the United States by the Emperor of Japan is stolen by factions wishing to maintain Japanese isolationism. The sword is stolen by Baron Zen who is a servant of Lord Yamato who opposes the Convention of Kanagawa about to be signed.
Commodore Akira Hayashi is told to recover the sword and, as a matter of honor, not sign the treaty until it is recovered. Prince Ido has received Hayashi's order to regain the sword and goes to the castle of Yamato alone. Similarly, Perry has ordered Captain Lawrence Hawk to retrieve the sword. Hawk brings Midshipman Robin Gurr and Crew Bos'm Cave Johnson. The three get separated and the movie centers on their stories.
- Principal actors
- Richard Boone as Commodore Matthew C. Perry
- Sonny Chiba as Prince Ido
- Frank Converse as Captain Lawrence Hawk
- Laura Gemser as Tomoe
- James Earl Jones as The prisoner (A crew of the whaling ship)
- Mako Iwamatsu as Enjirō
- Timothy Murphy as Midshipman Robin Gurr
- Michael Starr as L/S Cave Johnson
- Tetsuro Tanba as Lord Yamato
- Toshiro Mifune as Commodore Akira Hayashi
- Supporting role
- Film director - Tom Kotani
- Executive producer - Jules Bass
- Associate producer - Benni Korzen, Masaki Îzuka
- Producer - Arthur Rankin, Jr.
- Writer - William Overgard
- Music - Maury Laws
- Cinematography - Shōji Ueda
- Editing - Yoshitami Kuroiwa
- Post-production executive - Robert D. Cardona
- Editorial consultant - Anne V. Coates
- Production manager - Kishirô Ōkubo
- 1st assistant direction - Kouichi Nakajima
- Lighting - Kazuo Shimomura
- Art director - Toyokazu Ôhashi
- Sound recording - Yūji Miyoshi
- Sound editor - Ian Crafford
- Sound re-recording - Paul Carr (composer)
- Dueling master - Ryu Kuze
- Production secretary - Barbara Hilse
- U.S.Navy coordination - Commodore William North, U.S.N.
- "Richard Boone". MISJA,com.
- "IMDB "The Bloody Bushido Blade" aka "The Bushido Blade"". Retrieved 2012-07-09.