The Ashland Academy of Art
|Location||Ashland, Oregon, United States|
The Ashland Academy of Art was an art school located in Ashland, Oregon, United States. The Ashland Academy of Art was a classically based, independent school. The Academy's program was mainly based on the Russian Academic System. This system followed the artistic achievements of the Renaissance, developed and practiced by European academies until the end of 19th century.
The Ashland Academy's curriculum combined academic art education with the latest advancements in psychology of visual perception. The Academy's drawing curriculum was rooted in the Construction Method. This analytical method emphasizes a sculptural approach to form, by studying comparative measurements, structure, planes, function, and perspective.
Preserving the unique academic system of the classical European academies, Semyon Bilmes, founded the Bilmes Art School in 1990 in Medford, Oregon. In 2003, Semyon Bilmes founded The Ashland Academy of Art.
In 2004, the Ashland Academy was listed as one of Art Renewal Center Approved Ateliers.
In late 2009, the Bilmes Family announced that the Ashland Academy of Art would close its doors in October 2010, with the faculty and some of the students relocating immediately to a then unspecified facility in Portland, Oregon, where the school's classes would continue, uninterrupted.
In February 2010, Semyon Bilmes announced that instead of moving to Portland, Oregon, he would relocate to Hawaii and take only ten students with him. According to the Ashland Academy of art website, "With a new name and a new location, Atelier Maui will bring superior classical European instruction in painting and drawing to a lush tropical paradise."
- The St. Petersburg State Academic Institute of Fine Arts, Sculpture and Architecture: Retrieved on 2008-10-09.
- Hayden, Curtis (August 11, 2004). "The Ashland Academy of Art". The Sneak Preview.
- The Ashland Academy of Art: Retrieved on 2008-10-09.
- Stiles, Greg (March 15, 2006). "Around the World for Art Props". Mail Tribune.
- Aldous, Vickie (September 23, 2006). "Back to Basics". The Ashland Daily Tidings.
- "Academy". The Ashland Daily Tidings. March 15, 2006.
- Abbey, Chris (November 21, 2003). "Art School Takes Shape in Ashland". Mail Tribune.
- Stiles, Greg (March 15, 2006). "A Standard for Art". Mail Tribune.
- The Art Renewal Center, , 2008-10-09.
- Bousquet, Tim (2006). "Academy goes back to basics". Ashland Daily Tidings. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- The Ashland Academy of Art (official website)